1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

REPUBLICAN congressman steps in it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 2, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would think people would cut him slack for "Sambo," which is at least a whimsical, old-timey antique slur.

Plus, I loved eating there as a kid.

[​IMG]

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Did any employees ever turn into butter?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect most eventually turned into parolees.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I remember the school librarian reading Little Black Sambo to us. In 1981. God knows what she was thinking.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

No offense meant. Can't speak for Starman explicitly, but I'm sure he meant it the same as I did: What you wrote reminded me of a funny scene in a movie. Nothing more.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a famous cartoon out there, I think it's Little Black Sambo running through Watermelon land that is one of the most jaw-dropping blatantly racist things I have ever seen...

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

My parents have an antique mall in a very diverse college town. One of the vendors in this mall brought in and set up a bunch of those old "Aunt Jemima" looking salt and pepper shakers to sell.
    My dad, never one to mince words, told her "Why not put a lawn jockey outside...or, hell, let's save some time and burn the damn building down ourselves."
    I think he was overreacting a bit, but how can someone this day and age think these kinds of things are okay to sell or display? Racist caricatures to hold your spices is not a good idea.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is that on the extended version of the Song of the South or on the 1966 Kentucky Wildcats basketball highlights?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pat Buchanan calls Obama "boy," but of course he meant nothing by it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/03/pat-buchanan-obama-your-boy-al-sharpton_n_916925.html

10. Mizzougrad96

OK, that was funny.

11. Mizzougrad96

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Mizzougrad96

Says the person who called Bachmann the c-word.

Draft saved Draft deleted