1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reprint of Sport magazine article about Dick Young

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 27, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the case all over, in "this industry" and just about every other one, too.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In an era of no internet and World Series day games, I'm betting Joe Trimble wasn't anywhere near deadline and the desk wasn't even having a second thought about where Joe's story was yet.

3. Joe Lapointe

Joe Lapointe Member

My gut hunch is that the desk was indeed impatient about the writer filing his copy. Back then, papers put out a lot of "EXTRAS" and a perfect game in a local World Series would probably interest strap-hangers on the way home at evening rush.

Interesting piece overall. No doubt there is more to the story. After seeing "Lucky Guy" on Broadway this season, the Young story sounds like a biography or a play. What actor would play him?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd say Dan Lauria but he already did Lombardi.

Alda?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

as a former daily snoozer, i first heard the 'imperfect man' story as a copyyboy '78-80. as i recall it, i dont think anyone knew that story until trimble's retirement dinner, when trimble himself let the lead out of the bag after young toasted him. trible then rose for his goodbye speech, which included acknowledging young coming to his rescue. it gave us youngin's at the snooze see the generous side of the cranky old man. helped me to see why young was always spoken of in reverential terms by those who worked with or competed with young in his prime.

and on one slow night i remember bringing copy into sports when one copy editor tossed out this question: 'okay, so who are the best sportswriters here, based on qquality on deadline?' 'dick young ' was still the answer. 'cleanest copy at this paper,' said one pencil marking editor. 'sharp as a whistle, too. if we get a page from him right at the wire we're comfortable sending it right down to the printer's without a read.'
    ah, when newspapers were newspapers... favorite time of my career.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I did an airline magazine story on Young in the early '80s and while he couldn't have been more generous with his time and candor, he was incredibly bitter about his career and life in general, which the magazine did not like at all.
    I also wish I could have been at the baseball press box where the late George Kimball unplugged Young's Portabubble to turn on the cigarette machine -- around the bottom of the eighth.

Draft saved Draft deleted