1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reprimanded for debunking an intenet/e-mail hoax

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 27, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Shit, I'd be tempted to buy a burner phone with internet access and keep blasting from an anonymous email addy. I'm pretty good with the "who me?" look. Alternatively, you could engage someone else from far far away to do the same.

Couple of years ago I sent an email out to one of my undergraduate sections and put their addresses in the CC (rather than the BCC) slot. A couple of them then took the opportunity to attempt an insurrection (a march on the department chair's office, maybe?) via email. Unfortunately, for them, one of their more level-headed classmates shared the emails with a buddy of his in Canada. The buddy created an anonymous account and started peppering the instigators with vicious emails. I was of course blissfully unaware, until one day campus security showed up at my office to discuss the "developing situation" in my class. Turned out some of the recipients were starting to make some scary threats. That was an interesting rest of the semester, let me tell you!

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Poodles work hard, too. How dare you begrudge them their scholarship opportunities.

(Said someone whose dog got thrown out of obedience school. True story.)

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All right, but I absolutely refuse to cover the JV poodle shows.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What does Leviticus say about this?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Leviticus left a bestiality loophole. He was a poodle paddler.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tonight in JV poodle show competition, Shitsville High visits Turdburger Tech.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I used to take the faxes from Westboro Baptist and tape them around the sports cubicles back in the day. Of course, those were so batshit crazy there were no complaints, only laughs.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Next up in Starman's inbox: Obama will pay your cell phone bill.

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/scam-alert-no-obama-wont-pay-your-cellphone-bill-851592

The cellphone scam has its roots in the rumors circulating about a so-called "Obama Phone," a program in which, the rumors and right-wing blogs claim, Obama is distributing new cellphones and prepaid minutes to welfare recipients. According to FactCheck, the federal government offers no such program, and, although low-income households have long been eligible for discounted phone service, it is funded by telecommunications companies, not taxes, "and the president has nothing to do with it."

But it's not just your phone bill Obama will supposedly take care of. A similar scam began spreading early this month, telling victims — via text and Twitter — that Obama would pay their utility bills, the Wall Street Journal reported.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

UNDERGROUND RUSSIAN NUCLEAR TERRORISM!

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

they are gathering in the salt mines under Detroit. Only a matter of time before they burst out and take over. When they put up all those road signs in kilometers, that was to to help the Rooskies for when the invasion comes.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

A guy at work had color magazine shots of oiled-up muscle hunks in Speedos pinned up all over his cubicle. Hey, nothing wrong with that, and God Bless America. Very splashy display, though. ... I had one black-and-white photo of a girl in a bikini posted in my cubicle, and I was told in serious tones that it had to come down right away. I had to laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted