1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reprimanded for debunking an intenet/e-mail hoax

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 27, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Less time spent Googling, more time for Dr Pepper and home repairs.

But I did mean to say "I delete it immediately."

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I figured that cell phone/gas pump conspiracy was common knowledge by now.

That thing has been around for about 10 years now.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hope you forwarded everything to HR. I figure if debunking some conspiracy theory is harassment, falsely warning people that they are in danger of something is equally bad.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I worked in gas stations for 8-9 years (although this was in the pre-cellphone days).

Static electricity -- usually from sliding rubber shoes on carpeting or sliding your ass on upholstery -- can indeed cause gas vapor explosions. Although it is very rare.

People using cell phones while pumping gas can also cause explosions, but mainly from people waiting in line to pump gas while you yack on and on to Cousin Ethel with the pump handle clicked off.

Pump your gas, pay for it, get in the fucking car and get out of the way.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

I don't do home repairs.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Basically, yes. People have too much time on their hands I guess.

Seconded. Especially my far-left or far-right wing friends. Sheesh, I can't believe my vote counts the same as some of them!

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Just blew one of these out of the water the other day. Not sure if anyone has seen the boycott Starbucks e-mail, about the company refusing to donate to the military in Afghanistan/Iraq? 20-second Google search and I debunked it on snopes, and it's been making the rounds since 2004 or so. The woman who posted it was surprised but thanked me. Some people are just gullible.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can't really take it to HR because the two main suspects for who's doing it are the HR director and the publisher's executive secretary (the fact this one today was stuck to the front door indicates #2 is more likely to me). And they of course are absolute BFFs.

About 30% of the time the emails are political (and about 98 percent of THAT time you can guess how they go); I've never done anything about any of them.

This one today seemed to be fairly nonpartisan idiocy so I figured it was OK to blow the horn.

Maybe not.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

They're out to get ya.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This part is total bullshit. Well, the whole thing is, but it's OK to post frantic e-mails, but not OK to let everyone know that they are not factually based? Get the hell out of that place. They are out to get ya.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You work in a communications outlet with supposedly intelligent people who believe "thousands" of Americans have died in gory gas station explosions caused by cell phones?

Yet no one ever has heard of this. Hmmmm.

As noted, you work with some idiots.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No postings on contrails?

Draft saved Draft deleted