1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reports of Bonds' test results inaccurate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jimmy is getting angry again.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Jimmy needs to stop taking that "medicine."

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Where's Tony Randall?

4. creamora

creamora Member

He's at the gym looking for Oscar.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jimmy thinks he's a comedian, too.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just read through this whole thread at once. Entertaining, as always. This jumped out at me. I still don't understand why your PR firm is out there pushing Victor Cont all the time, creamora. When do the 15 minutes end? Even Paris Hilton's publicist backs off once in a while...

But in one post you'll claim that T.J. Quinn is is a royal fuck up... but then argue that your client Conte has legitimacy because the New York Daily News printed something he wrote. Was the Daily News printing Quinn's stuff all that time because it was the undeniable truth, too, or is it some rag that prints lies and mistruths?

7. So Jayson Blair means we don't have to believe, who? Kristof? Murray Chass?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

One of the constants of Balco has been reporters running with anything salacious that's leaked to them, especially about Barry Bonds, without first examining its veracity. That's what led many people to be surprised when the sentences were so light against Conte and the others. The case in the newspaper is better than the case in court because truth usually loses to salaciousness in the newspaper game.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One problem with your statement. You don't even know the proper definition of a fact. Come back when you learn it.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Exactly! Although, I don't think the New York Times has a policy of only printing things that are so undeniably true that all you need is Google to confirm them, the way the Daily News does.

11. part-timer

part-timer Member

As a school librarian watching students use Google as their primary source to do research, it gives me an uneasy feeling when people say we should use that to validate information. I have the students do a search on great white whales in Lake Michigan to prove this point: Just because it's on Google doesn't mean it's 100 accurate.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Of course not, you have to understand and consider the source, just like when you're sorting through various library books on a topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.