1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reports of an active shooter - except it was a water heater

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My heart stopped when I first saw this because it is Topsail High School in my favorite vacation area.

But it wasn't an active shooter. It was a faulty water heater.

I'm tempted to laugh but I also can't imagine what it is like to be in a school these days and hear anything that might maybe just maybe could be gunfire.

Officials believe malfunctioning water heater led to calls of active shooter at Topsail High

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We showed a video to get kids ready for an active shooter drill next week (yes we're now treating active shooters like a fire drill) and I think out is safe to say the teachers were more affected than the students. Some of my kids laughed as they shared escape plans. One told me she didn't want to be shot but isn't scared of dying. It might just be gallows humor but out was weird.

I can't imagine what would happen if a random object sounded like gun fire.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

This American Life recently had an episode on school shooting planning/drills. Some interesting details, but no answers.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So I work with a 21 year old recent CC grad who I knew frequented Borderline Bar in Thousand Oaks. I asked him when he came in yesterday if he or anyone he knew was at the bar during the shooting. He said his friend since 3rd grade was there and was snap chatting him before the attack, during, and afterwards. He was so nonchalant about it. He said his friend saw the gunman shoot a girl in the head, and then the friend ran. He said the friend is "pretty shook up about it but she's OK."

I was struck by just how routine it all seemed. Our millenials are growing up in a world far, far different than the one most of us were reared in.

Draft saved Draft deleted