1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporting the inner-thoughts of dead subjects?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He said he knew him for a week. I don't know that he conducted extensive interviews. He was there to write about the sport for a Times feature, I assume.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Did he get access to a diary?

Or, in this day and age, some emails and/or social media traffic?

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"Damn, it's warm down here," Adolf thought.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

He quotes directly, on occasion, from some of Mevoli's message board posts.

5. Dick Whitman

On Mevoli's rivalry with his coach: "Nick could see the conflict of interest plain as day."

6. Dick Whitman

The head of Destalt took to calling Ashley and Nick “America’s Pink and Blue.” Nick liked that. In his mind it connected them all the more.

7. Dick Whitman

One night when Nick was on his way to the Metropolitan Pool to do laps he saw the young, blonde girl from church walking home. He didn’t know Denny’s story yet, but he knew she was in pain.

8. Dick Whitman

OK, looks like he told his uncle:

He knew Nick had a habit of brooding, and Paul had both the strength and sensitivity to get to the heart of any difficulty without intruding. “I can tell. Something’s eating you. What is it?”

“I’m in love. I met someone, and she could be the one.” Nick told Paul about Ashley Chapman. He gushed about her athletic ability, her beauty, and their conversations.

“That’s great, Nick! That’s really great, man! What’s the trouble?”

“I can’t have her. She’s married. Her husband is a great guy, and I’m fucked.”

Paul knew what unrequited love felt like. Before he’d married his wife, Terri, he’d fallen for a different girl, but the timing was off. Paul had offered advice when Nick was troubled countless times, but that night he had no answer. He just put his arm around his nephew and opened another beer for him. There was nothing else to say.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Ask the sainted Gary Smith.
    He would practically address the subject's id in second-person omniscient.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Or Mitch Albom. He once got so far inside Mateen Cleaves' head, Cleaves thought he was in St. Louis.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Well, there's a new Mitchie, thankfully. The guy who once stalked and threatened to fight readers is now playing violin mood music at cancer wards.
    Pretending he hasn't joined the ranks of the phoniest awards-chasers in the business.
    Doyel is the follicular-challenged Mitchie.

Draft saved Draft deleted