1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporting, photography at the same time

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_bank, Oct 15, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and if you don't want to follow farmer's advice, feel free to ask me about my recent total knee replacement and the physical torture therapy i'm going through because a hit on the sidelines helped send me to the operating table.

2. partain

partain Member

Heck, I can't keep up with volleyball stats even when I'm not shooting. One thing I miss about my time at a small daily, is that we didn't have room for boxes (pre-internet days), so I didn't have to keep up with every dig in volleyball or every assist in basketball. If a stat was worth mentioning, it got mentioned in the story. And since we covered the same three schools every week, stats were very easy to come by if we needed them. I can't say the same about my current h.s. freelancing experience—where there are too many schools playing too many sports. Hence, the writers never get to know anyone.

3. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

That's a good rate for basic companion freelance photos, assuming you're getting at least that for just the content. I'm assuming you're using a point-and-shoot camera, in which case I'd echo what other people are saying that the night-game action shots may be a bit out of your range. Point and shoots generally don't give you the control or the ability to get good low-light action photos that a nice d-slr will.

Take the best photos you can but know the limitations of your equipment. Professional-quality lenses and camera bodies are going to run you a pretty penny so know what you can and can't get and try to work around that. Get beneath the basket/behind the endzone—anywhere you can be close to the action, not get crushed, and still get a good photo. If you have any other freelance connections there's usually somebody at every shop who has some decent equipment to borrow so you can at least get an idea of what you might be investing in if you did want to buy a nicer camera.

Draft saved Draft deleted