1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporting on turnovers and missed kicks in high school football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can still describe the play if you need to. Stich reached first on a a play that was ruled an infield hit, even though the shortstop threw the slow roller into the dugout.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I go against the "official" scorekeeper all the time here.

I'm in the business of accuracy, while they're all about not hurting anyone's feelings.

I've been called on it, but I'm always able to explain why it's an error when a shortstop lets a ball between his legs even though the scorer called it a hit.

I can't tell you how many times "official" basketball scorebooks have had individual point totals incredibly wrong. I'm a decent reporter because I'm observant and accurate, and I'll write about what I see.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If we aren't in the business to be accurate, what use do we serve? We're not here so parents like us. If you want to be "respected" in the communtiy, show up at games wearing the high school gear and write that Johnny Bagadonuts tried real hard, and it's not his fault that he made five errors in the inning.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously? In high school?

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Are you saying seriously to me? Or to the scorekeepers? Either way, yes.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In that case, I would try to educate the folks doing the scorebook. After all, they will presumably be calling in some of those results when you aren't at the game, right?

And if they are purposely fudging the stats or avoiding errors, I would complain to the coach and or AD and threaten not to run any of their results if they are not being honest.

Seriously.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Well, I have, on occasion said, "This is varsity baseball, not freshman or JV. He has to make that play."

The problem is, most of the scorekeepers are either A) coaches from other sports, or B) former coaches. They just don't pay as close attention as I do. I'm not saying I'm great because of that, but I'm paid to pay as close attention as possible.

When the coaches call in results, it's not a problem. They are fair and I know they are because they report the "bad" as well.

We can't not run results of this particular school. It's one of our main beats.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When you are there the scorekeepers don't pay attention but when you are not there they call in accurate results?

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Scorekeepers don't travel to road games. The coaches keep all the stats in those instances.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oy.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I just read the thread and wanted to bring this back into the discussion. Ho-lee shit.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Like Ace said, you can descirbe a play in question, "Stich reached first on a a play that was ruled an infield hit, even though the shortstop threw the slow roller into the dugout."

And it's okay to even make question the final hit/error tally in some form, but don't think that your account of the game is the official one.
    In that softball pitcher's earned run streak, what makes that such a sure thing. If home coach is calling to rule an unearned run and it's in dispute, who's to say that hasn't happened before in games the opposing team coach doesn't read your paper? Heck she could have 15 earned runs,but it doesn't matter because the official book doesn't have that, and no matter how flaweed it may be, that's all that matters.
    Report what you saw, yes. Change the way the game was ruled? No, because our tally doesn't matter. Ask Al Gore.

Draft saved Draft deleted