1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporting on Trade Rumors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by naturenick, Sep 16, 2012.

1. naturenick

naturenick New Member

I'm a sports journalism grad student doing a report on trade rumors. I'm specifically looking at the ethics surrounding reporting these rumors. I can't find too much information on the actual process. I just have a few questions.

-How do reporters go about getting legitimate rumors? What types of people do you talk to?
    -How has social media changed this process? Have you had a speed vs. accuracy dilemma?
    -How do you verify the rumors?
    -Have you ever retracted a rumor?

If anyone has any other resources on this topic it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Nick--Not trying to be rude, but I don't know how else to ask this: How can you be a sports journ grad student and not know the answers to a lot of those questions? Are you looking for anecdotal support for your report, or do you really not know how to verify rumors?

3. naturenick

naturenick New Member

Sorry, let me clarify.

I'm looking mainly at the speed vs. verification dilemma that many journalists are facing with social media.

Have you ever had a "hot" rumor that you couldn't verify with two sources, but posted anyway for the sake of page views?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What is a "sports journalism grad student"?

5. naturenick

naturenick New Member

Graduate student studying journalism with a focus on sports reporting

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nick,

Opinions will differ. I seldom report rumors unless I can reliably confirm them. One of the things that has hurt the industry is too many people taking a wild rumor, even speculation, and reporting it as fact. Too many times it ends up being nothing but hot air and you wind up looking like an ass when it doesn't pan out.

My advice would be to use caution.

8. writingump

writingump Member

Mark nailed it right on the head. I'd rather be slow and right than quick and wrong.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Grad student sourcing a report via online message board.

If your professor specifically approved this method, they have done you a disservice. If not, then this isn't exactly the most reliable or robust way to acquire information.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Why not?

I have had my kids use message boards before. Not uncommon at all. See it in education classes all the time.

Besides, is he sourcing or just looking for opinions in one of the most valid places in the Internet?

The key, of course, is the word "rumor." No, we report facts.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was just thinking it'll only be a few more weeks until I start getting emails wanting assistance on term papers.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

The nature of his post makes it sound like this is his first stop.

Oh, you'd be surprised. It's inexplicable to me, but the ranks of sports journalism master's students aren't exactly chock full of individuals with significant journalism experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted