1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Reporting Error" corrects outcome of Wisconsin Supreme Court Election

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: "Reporting Error" changes outcome of Wisconsin Supreme Court Election

She should be fired by the end of the day.

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Absolutely, which is what I said in my first post. The right would be screaming from here to Madison had this happened in the other direction. And rightfully so because in an election this emotional, for something like this to happen really has the potential for some very hard feelings as well as some very irrational activity.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

"Forgetting" to count the second largest city in your area is a pretty big case of incompetence. She should resign, but won't. This is the one thing that pisses me off about government employees--someone screws up and they get to keep their jobs. Happens from the local police department to D.C.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I find it truly amazing that with all of the technology we have available to us that some places still have paper ballots.

I think it sounds like a legitimate error. They showed a clip of the woman on one of the news shows this morning and she looked like she was on the verge of opening her wrists.

I voted on a touchscreen in 2000. The city where I lived at the time was one that they were using as a test to see how it worked. It was the easiest, most convenient way I've ever voted and every time I've voted since it was using a marker to connect a line on a piece of paper.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not only did she screw this up, but she'd been feuding with election authorities who were trying to get her to stop using an outdated system which she insisted was fine.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I used to be on that side until I saw ...

http://www.hackingdemocracy.com/

This is the documentary that aired on HBO that shows just how fallible and easy to manipulate those voting machines are. Add in the political tinge -- such as the head of Diebold, one of the leading manufacturers, saying before the 2004 election that he was "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year -- and there are as many or more flaws in this new approach as there are with the old.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Interesting that the 7,500 'found' votes neatly covers the .05% margin of victory for Prosser that would require the Kloppenburg campaign, rather than the state, to pay for the cost of the recount.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"Interesting" is one way of putting it. "Almost certainly coincidental" would be another.

9. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

This is a very tough time in Wisconsin. There has always been a sense of respect for others opinions. "I might not agree with you but I want to listen and we can have an adult conversation." That is now absent and for many of us this change is appalling.

I must be careful as I don't want to out myself but I have been privy to some amazing "behind the scenes" conversations between some of FitzWalkerstan's movers and shakers. To say that they have the maturity level of a frat house is an insult to frats everywhere. It was clear the moment the Nov elections gave them control of Madison that all hell was going to break lose. The disdainful and disrespectful nature of their comments was shocking. The worst part was that I voted for and considered one of these "leaders" a friend. He promised to be different. He is...he is worse.

Please do not look at my comments as being from a left wing, "commie" perspective. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have always been proud to be from Wisconsin, I always thought that we kind of "got it". Today I am pretty sure we are no better then the rest. I am sad.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah. Those damn unions.

Always protecting incompetents.

Even the Republican ones.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

That is sad. Like I have always said, a lot of the harsh political discourse in this country dates back to the 2000 election. Before that election I had a TON of liberal friends, but after the mess that followed it seemed like I could not even have a rational discussion with some of them anymore...especially about the recount and Florida. Regardless of what I said I was "one of them" because I questioned if there was the full-scale cheating they were accusing the Republicans of. One of my best friends, a girl that has been like a sister to me since I was a little kid, will not speak to me to this day because I told her to calm down and lower her voice when she was arguing with me about how Gore was getting "robbed" by the evil, thieving Republicans. She said she had "overestimated" my character and wanted nothing to do with me. That's sad.
    That's why I like these boards. The majority of people here are on the other side of me regarding politics, but it rarely gets nasty (moddies do a good job of taking care of that). And, truthfully, I have had some great conversations with some of the biggest liberals on these boards in the private message section. It all comes down to respecting each other, and that's what does not happen in this country anymore. And BOTH sides are to blame.
    Feel bad for you, Badger. Just keep setting your example and, hopefully, others will eventually "get it."

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've often thought that the whole current harsh political discourse goes back to at least 1992 when Clinton won. Repubs couldn't stand that a guy who had cheated on his wife had become president.

And the roots of that also come from Nixon and Watergate. The GOP was humiliated after Tricky Dick, and Reagan's election only partly salved those wounds. They were chomping at the bit to even the score.

Of course, we've had violent political discourse throughout our country's history. The 1840s and 1850s weren't exactly peaceful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.