1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporting coach's comments to team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 2, 2007.

1. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

And the world returns to some sense of normalcy. :)

2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

To paraphrase Jerry Glanville, this is the NFL, or Not For Long when you're 1-3. Fair game.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It's pros.

It's legit.

4. ctr

ctr New Member

would and did

5. Babs

Babs Member

OK, what if you're standing in a spot that only the media would be in and you overhear a tirade? Is it still fair game? I tend to think not and don't use it. But maybe I'm being too cautious.

On a side note, tirades are amusing to listen to when you are not the object of them.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, the only people who could've heard Lewis' tirade last night were Bengals team folk, a few stadium personnel and the media waiting outside the locker room.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Use anything you hear.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Use what you hear that can be modified for print. Don't attribute it to Lewis unless you know without a doubt it was Lewis.

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Would you use it if, instead of a dressing-down, that team won and you heard whoops and hollers and screams and other quotes from an obvious victory celebration?

I would, and I did. So, I make no distinction between winners and losers. If you can hear it, happy or angry, you can report it.

10. I've used it on the high school level and didn't hear a peep about it. I didn't say it was profanity-laced, but it was something to the degree of: Coach Woodcock was infuriated with the mistakes his team made in the game and let his team know so behind closed doors.

I think the readers can figure out that Coach Woodcock was using words that rhymed with luck and hit.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I heard a high school coach tell his team to come out ready to play next week so they can "make their assholes pucker up!"

I didn't use it. Should I have?

12. um, no.

Draft saved Draft deleted