1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters wearing local team apparel?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by a_rosenthal, May 22, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I will keep this vague since I don't have a link and I didn't actually see this happen, but I believe it was a topic on here a while ago. A college football writer at a paper in the Northeast was switched from the school he had covered for years, we'll call it Cowpasture State, to its rival, which we will call the University of Armpit.He was not happy about the switch. To demonstrate his displeasure, he wore apparel of Cowpasture State to University of Armpit practices. I don't know how all of it played out, but while he is still at the same paper, he no longer covers either team.

;D

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I once had the county sheriff berate me because I wouldn't wear the local team's colors or gear. Tell you what, lawman, you stick to your job, and I'll stick to mine.

When I was covering sports, I dressed professionally for indoor events...so logo gear or caps wasn't an option. For outdoor events, I'd dress for the outdoors...usually this involved a cap. I don't own any logo-free caps. I always made sure that the cap had no colors from either team's color scheme. My green/white St. Patrick's Day Cubs cap and my brown/white 1952 St. Louis Browns cap saw lots of action.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I usually wear a yellow tie because it looks confident and, perhaps, optimistic.

But, it there's someone in the press box I want to intimidate, I dress in all-black.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

with Gargoyle sunglasses and driving up in your black Monte Carlo?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Dude, you're in my seat."

[​IMG]

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I will repeat that I saw with my own eyes a reporter for a mid-sized paper covering a high school football game wearing blue jeans with the scores of all the local teams games for several years stitched into them by his wife.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Wow. Just... wow. Got a picture? That would be a surefire keeper -- for future blackmail purposes, if nothing else.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he was unblackmailable.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Maybe he got tired of people coming up and asking the score of last year's game.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hadn't thought of that. A public service.

Yeah, I got last year's score right here!

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have heard a local stiff use the term "we" when asking questions to a coach of his alma mater. Trust me, he is a stiff.

12. Why would a sports reporter wear one in the first place?

Draft saved Draft deleted