1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters wearing local team apparel?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by a_rosenthal, May 22, 2007.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

What are some policies on reporters/columnists wearing local team apparel?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Um ...

Never.

3. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

i try not to wear the same colors as teams on the high school beat I had and the other reporters in my area did the same, yet I go to a major college game and see a hundred dimwits decked out like they do all their shopping at the school bookstore.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I strongly counsel against it.

Never been an issue and never expect it to be – here, anyway.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Happened to me yesterday. I rarely give much thought to how I dress, but it occurred to me as I was walking out the door that my shirt was orange, the same as Local School's main color. I turned around and made a quick change to a white shirt.
    As for the original question, I would say it's OK, well, never.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

team apparel? fuckin never. be professional.

7. I remember one football season I covered a big ACC school. Walked in the press box and every fucking dope in there has either a shirt that is the team's colors on or a shirt with the team's logo on it. Talk about objective journalism. A fucking disgrace is what I call it.

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I might wear a polo shirt of the local NFL or MLB team, but not while I'm covering one of those games (which doesn't happen often). As far as the local teams, I try to keep my outfit neutral.

9. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Is this really so hard to figure out that it merits a thread a week?

10. believe it or not, there are guys on my beat who wear local team stuff -- not the team we cover but other pro teams in town.

flabby bumbling giggling fanboy douchebags

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

What about a columnist going to cover random events and appearing in public in a Local College's windbreaker? That was more my concern.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

No shit. there was a 3-4 pager on this just a couple of weeks ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted