1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters w/o Borders: At least 12 journalists among 42 massacred in Philippines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 23, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.rsf.org/spip.php?page=article&id_article=35061<blockquote>At least 12 journalists were killed today in Maguindanao province (on the southern island of Mindanao) by armed men, including two policemen, linked to the province’s governor, a supporter of President Gloria Arroyo. More than 30 other people were murdered. Some of the victims were beheaded.

“Never in the history of journalism have the news media suffered such a heavy loss of life in one day,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We convey our condolences and sympathy to all journalists in the Philippines, who are in state of shock after this appalling massacre.” . . .

The massacre took place a few hours after around 50 gunmen led by Andal Ampatuan Jr., the mayor of Shariff Aguak (a municipality in Maguindanao province), and a police inspector identified solely by the name of Dicay kidnapped members of a large convoy of supporters of Esmael Mangudadatu, an Ampatuan clan opponent who wants to run for governor.

The convoy of Mangudadatu supporters, accompanied by journalists, had been on its way to an electoral bureau to file documents related to his candidacy, which the gunmen wanted to prevent. The fatalities included Mangudadatu’s wife, sister and other relatives. The governor’s son is also alleged to have been involved in the massacre.</blockquote>Every time I ever had a problem covering a ballgame, I reminded myself how much worse it could be.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why are there 12 journalists covering a convoy in the Philippines when you can barely get one or two covering the state capital beat in most small states?

3. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I presume these included journalists from various news organizations in the Phillipines, and perhaps internationally. I wish there'd been more details.

Very sad, very appalling. Thanks for the link. I've been looking for organizations like this to support since I stepped out of the day-to-day J-world (the journo org from which this story originates, that is).

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Reporters Without Borders has its own agenda. Since journalists outside of this country aren't tied to "objective" standards as much as we are, they sometimes take sides in a conflict.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many were actually killed? The most I've read besides the Reporters Without Borders report is 24.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No surprise given the happenings in Mindanao over the last generation or two. Makes the news throughout Luzon - including the overthrow of one of the worst crooks ever in Ferdinand Marcos - look very tame by comparison.

8. It's called advocacy journalism and some would say it's the highest calling in our profession. I'm not sure I would disagree.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

fixed.

10. Something tells me I may have a different interpretation from others here of what advocacy journalism is. I'm talking about the work being done to give voices to the voiceless in places where governments suppress dissent. I'm not sure how anybody could say that isn't journalism. I might be wrong about its name, but I always thought this is what advocacy journalism is/was.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Update: Lots of arrests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8397717.stm

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Serious mess in Mindanao. Then again, it hasn't been otherwise in a long, long time. There's a reason no GIs booked getaways to parts South when they had leave ... and when American forces were a much bigger presence there.

Draft saved Draft deleted