1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters selling ads?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by for_the_hunt, Jan 28, 2008.

1. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

As the below e-mail says, "today there's no entitlement." But for God's sake, can't we draw the line somewhere? Anywhere?

As a college senior, my expectations were already pretty damn low in finding a decent job after I graduate, but I didn't expect this. I don't mind working 50, 60 hours a week, but it makes me nervous if the business is starting to lean toward this ...

I received this e-mail a couple minutes ago through my state school's listserv (which goes to every journalism major):

Subject line: The Berkshire Beacon in Western Mass., is looking for journalists

True, selling ads is not for every journalist/writer. But if you want to hone your craft-writing, reporting, photography, graphic design or be a utility person and then move up the ladder, then you need to consider the options. Each experience you can bring to the next job makes you more valuable and, of course, worthy of a better income and position.

YES! You can do your craft before and after normal business hours. I only ask that you be willing to sell 7 pages a week. Once you have those pages filled, then you can concentrate on your storis, your photos, your layout and/or your web design. Meanwhile, you are developing contacts within the community, which can lead you to news stories and features along with community profiles.

Today, there is no entitlement. It is all about being able to multitask. What we have in The Berkshires is four seasons of life's enjoyment. Admittedly, many young people want to escape, and then they have a reality check-back to The Berkshires where one can afford to live, seek the dream of ownership of a house/condo and have the enjoyment of entertainment, sports and lively conversations. Perhaps, even find their life-partner.

If you can find a newspaper that will pay a salary, benefits and offer advancement, go for it. If you can't find the "dream job" then consider helping me and other Bootstrappers develop and promote our dream to serve The Berkshire community with a community newspaper-The Berkshire Beacon.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

George C. Jordan III is an odd dude, at least that's my impression of him from another thread and a few e-mails I've sent him telling him to stop e-mailing me about his openings.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/49962/

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Storis?

I am not familiar with this word in the English language.
    A mystery of mysteries.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

All I have to do is sell seven pages a week? then I can do my real work? Awesome. Sign me up.

Fuck you, George.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Yeah, but if I worked there, I could say, "Yeah, I'll write a story about your JV swimming son. That'll be $200."

With no ethical line to cross, I'd be the richest reporter in history.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If this guy - I want to echo BYH's sentiment - wants you to sell seven pages before you can get to the newsroom side of the job, just cut out the middle men and start up your own publication. Then at least you'll reap the benefits of being asked to be a true jack-of-all-trades.

Or if they'll asking reporters to cross the line and sell ads, too, sell stories to the highest bidder and command extra for story placement. I mean, if they're ignorant enough to open up Pandora's Box ... ::)

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The copy editor was busy selling ads.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

George sent me two of those over the weekend...

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I love how their Web site has been under construction for a decade. "6217 visits since 9/25/98."

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hey, George: There's a reason journalism degrees are offered through a different department than marketing degrees -- They're DIFFERENT JOBS!!!!! OPEN UP YOUR CHEAP-ASSED WALLET AND PAY SOME SALES PEOPLE!!!!!! If reporters wanted to be sales people, they'd be sales people.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously. I doubt many "reporters" would be worth a damn at selling ads and vice versa.

Draft saved Draft deleted