1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter's final column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 16, 2008.

1. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Hilarious

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I got through a couple of grafs and then gave up. The guy's got problems.

3. Not anymore he doesn't.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You don't think any of this is funny? At all? Speaking of problems ... ;)

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This was my favorite part...

Friday was my last day as a reporter, and it also happened to be the deadline for this article. I am now a former journalist, a designation held by many prestigious figures at local homeless shelters and brothels. Journalism is one of those fields you enter when you think you can make the world a better place and leave when you realize you can make your own world better simply by getting a different job. In terms of the raw altruism required, working for a newspaper is kind of like doing a stint in the Peace Corps, only the hours are worse and everybody hates you.

Anybody over the age of 25 who thinks they can make the world a better place as a journalist, needs a reality slap across the face...

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I liked the captions under the pictures. "Schindler's List."

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

First of all, I thought it was great. The whole "conspiring journalists" part especially. I've tried to explain the fallacy of that notion to people for years, but of course, nobody believes me. They believe Sean Hannity.

That said, I don't agree with this Mizzou post:

Even in diminished local newspapers, there's still work being done -- whistleblowing, informing the public, whatever -- that DOES make the world a better place. For all of its flaws, that kind of work is certainly being done at the paper I read. All the time.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The notebooks with terrible penmanship were great. Reminds me of myself, frantically scribbling notes when my recorder goes down. Every single time I get a quote where I sit for a while thinking: "what the hell is this word?"

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That was awesome. It's a shame our profession is losing a guy with such a great wit, but I'm sure he'll be a helluva kickboxer. :)

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I liked the part about stealing all the garbage cans, because everyone else had one but him.

11. jps

jps Active Member

good stuff. enjoyed it all the way through.

12. I'm glad this guy's not a reporter any more.

Draft saved Draft deleted