1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter's final column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Came across this on Fark. It's a BLOG! where a reporter posted his final column, which the newspaper spiked.

"In terms of the raw altruism required, working for a newspaper is kind of like doing a stint in the Peace Corps, only the hours are worse and everybody hates you."

http://explodingunicorn.blogspot.com/2008/04/view-from-somewhere-else.html

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That might be the most awesome thing ever posted on the internet that didn't involve midgets fucking.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

As a newspaper column, that makes a barely readable blog post.

4. Are you serious? I thought it was hilarious.

That controversial development they’re planning for a site near your home might not save your town, but it likely won’t kill your children either. The obvious exception to that is the child-killing plant they’re planning to build on U.S. 52. You haven’t heard about it yet because newspapers are covering it up as part of the highly-coordinated media conspiracy.

Breaking news just happens to be almost exclusively bad simply because good news is seldom sudden. I’ve covered lots of late night crashes that resulted in fatalities, but I’ve covered very few that resulted in puppies.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought it was a masterpiece...

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Fantastic work.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sounds like the guy wasn't cut out to be a reporter.

He might make a great humor columnist (hi Dave Barry!)

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Spectacular.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That was solid.
    Doesn't offer much except a good laugh, but hey, we need that.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

"Breaking news just happens to be almost exclusively bad simply because good news is seldom sudden. I’ve covered lots of late night crashes that resulted in fatalities, but I’ve covered very few that resulted in puppies. Maybe there is such a thing as good breaking news, and maybe horrible vehicular collisions really can result in cute, cuddly animals. They don’t teach you that stuff until your second year in journalism, so I’ll probably never know."

Great stuff.

11. And, of course, here comes the cavalry:

"for what it's worth, i hate reporters. on the whole, you are lazy and undereducated. you also whine too much when you're not deliberately misinforming the public."

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, it gets better.

Draft saved Draft deleted