1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter's attitude: Something you either have or don't?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by smsu_scribe, Dec 2, 2009.

1. doogie448

doogie448 Member

So here's my weird twist on this conversation. I cover high school sports and we have a competing paper just across the river. I cover a lot of game over there and I find myself letting the reporters from the other paper drive the interviews, sometimes to the point of not asking any questions. But I can run a competent if not pretty good interview when I'm the only reporter. I am trying to force my to be more assertive and not let them dictate the action, but I'm struggling with it. Any suggestions other than man up and do your job?

2. Boyznblu80

Boyznblu80 Member

Doogie, as soon as there's a spot of dead air, (literally a millisecond) jump with your question. Try getting a word in edge-wise with Rich Cimini next to you, a reporter that players know and will talk too. I would always make a quick gesture with my hands and spout my question out at the same time to get the player to make eye contact with me. There was one reporter from a TV station I won't mention, that was very pushy and would just talk over you even when it was clear that the player was acknowledging you and not them. One time I was interviewing Kerry Rhodes and an anchor basically barked over me and he stopped this person and said "He was here first and has been cool, i'll get to you in a second." Imagine that, a no name like me got the business from a player because I was polite. Assertive is the way to go. Not pushy, but just enough to show that you're there and want to have a conversation.

Draft saved Draft deleted