1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter's attitude: Something you either have or don't?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by smsu_scribe, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I was a shy, quiet and reserved guy fresh out of college when I got my first gig (covering news) and still am for the most part. I'm not that way around my friends, but around people I don't know I sometimes get a little nervous for really no reason at all, and then there's other times where I can talk with a single-serving friend like it's someone I've known all my life.

Like it's been said on here, the more you talk to people, the more it goes away, especially because you realize it's going to always be a part of your job if you want to stay in this business. If you're preparing to talk to a coach after a game, jot down a few questions while the contest is going on that pop in your head and I always found I can just roll with the punches once the conversation gets going. Same goes for feature interviews. Try to get some idea of what you want the story to become before you go into the interview and outline some questions and ideas beforehand.

If someone's got a cure for the procrastination though, let me know.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Sounds like my life since I lost my "anchor gig" and spend each day reporting news. I dread the first three hours -- digging, digging, setting up, digging -- but am passionate about the final five hours -- shooting video, talking to people, crafting a story.

Those first three are the reason I'm trying to get out.

Each morning I get up I die a little.

3. AD

AD Active Member

jot down questions beforehand, yes, but hope for the unexpected. if an interview -- or a story -- is exactly what you thought it would be going in, then you're not doing your job, and it's not that good a story or interview. you want to learn -- and tell your audience -- something you didn't know, not just confirm your own preconceptions.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. I don't know what disappoints me more --

A reporter coming back without answers to a couple of the basic questions we went over

or

A reporter coming back without anything but answers to a couple of the basic questions we went over.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's ok to get nervous. Still happens to me after many many many moons. It's not a bad thing to happen.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

They shouldn't have taken your anchor job away. Sounds like you enjoyed that better.

7. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I get a touch of the butterflies before every big event I cover. It's excitement. It's a sign that you're alive.

8. Boyznblu80

Boyznblu80 Member

i had this problem too. When covering the Jets, I'll admit i felt a little out of my league being really green in terms of experience. Before that gig, the biggest thing I covered was Hofstra Football and basketball games. Then I step into an NFL locker room, with big names for players and reporters. But then i realized, these people (the players I mean) are just like everyone else; they just happen to play in the NFL.

They're human, not perfect and have the same shortcomings as John Q. Public. Last season I remember interviewing a few players, asking them what they planned to do with some time off during the Jets bye week. One of them said that he hadn't been to the dentist in months and his two back right teeth were killing him. It sounds corny, but that's when I realized that there's not much different between myself and these guys, besides their listed occupation.

Also, no question is a dumb question and don't let anyone else tell you different. If you think it'll help you in the formation of your story, ask it. I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, I'm just adding my experience with this type of situation. I can admit I am still very green and have a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully, before John Cusack discovers the apocalypse in 2012 I'll improve more. :)

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I tend to just stalk people when I have to do those sorts of things. Stay at a distance, watch the crowd, look for people who seem to have a smile on their face. Older people work best. They seem to be friendlier with strangers. People who put themselves out there with crazy outfits are also seeking attention and love to talk.
    I guess that goes back to the "doing your homework" line of thought. Whenever I have to do man on the street stuff, I'll usually spend 10 minutes scouting the crowd before I even approach someone.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Thank Tebow for the desk.

The perfect place for journalists who care about news, know how to write, how to edit and present the news . . . but just do not like talking to strangers and trying to get information from them.

Realized it was my calling just a year out of college.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Although I'm no shrinking violet now I was far from great and actually a fair distance from even passable when it came to this stuff when I was starting out. The page, no problem. People ... always intimidated.

I discovered a mental trick for getting through it, though I had a ridiculous outcome with it. Literally Hall of Fame stuff. I've told the story a few times but I haven't here (I don't think).

One of my first freelance assignments--just the second that had a travel component--was to travel to Dallas to write a story about a Canadian guy, Chris Schultz, who was a back-up tackle with the Cowboys. I had written, oh, three magazine pieces at that point. The Cowboys of that vintage (Dorsett, Too Tall, Harvey Martin, etc) were a big deal--gawds in my young eyes. I knew I'd be okay with Chris--a friend had gone to school with him and I had talked with him on the phone in advance of the trip down. The other guys, gulp. And then there was Coach Landry.

To psyche myself I drew up a list of the hardest things I ever had to do. I had a list of five but only the top one matters: As the only bouncer at the door of the Shamrock Hotel I had to tell 12 bikers that we weren't going to serve them. (Unarmed, one-on-one, five would give me no fight, four would be a good fight and three would be serious trouble. But the idea that any were unarmed and that any fight would be by the Marquis of Queensbury rules rather than a Battle Royale was pure fantasy.) Somehow I managed to finesse it ... negotiation and reason triumphing, but believe me I was all set to leave the premises.

So with this less than fond memory I went into the Cowboys facility with testosterone raging and pragmatism on the front burner ... whatever it was going to take it was going to get done. Interviewed my principals, went locker to locker and filled my notebook. All good. One last thing ... Coach Landry. I needed a quote or two from him and, moreover, my photographer (local freelancer who was useless and and not a self-starter) needed him for a shot with my subject. So it was that I ran around the Cowboys facility looking for coach. I spied him walking through double door towards me. When he walked through the doors I grabbed him by the arm and said: "Tom, I need you outside for a photo." He actually didn't fight through this arm tackle though his fedora might have been slightly dislodged. And out he went with me to the practice field ... I was gripping his arm all the way like I was walking a patron to the door. I think he was actually more bemused by it than anything else--a great sport with a complete tadpole. The coach and Schultz lined up for a photo and I could see that "Tom" was talking out of the side of his mouth to the tackle. (I hope I had nothing to do with Schultz getting waived a few months later.)

Anyway, I work up pure desperation for doing the job the same way to this day. The Shamrock Hotel is now No. 2 on the list, "Tom" is No. 1. Everything else is easy by comparison.

o-<

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

SMSU,

There's a lot of great responses on here already, and I'm not going to add anything else wise. But since you are still in college, one thing you might find helpful is to take an Interpersonal Communication course if you haven't already. Or at least find the Dean of the Communications department ask him if there's a course that might be helpful for your situation.
    I was/am as naturally shy as they come when I was growing up. So I majored in Speech. Still shy, still sometimes hesitant approaching people, but the speech courses did wonders...just ask my imaginary friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted