1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter's attitude: Something you either have or don't?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by smsu_scribe, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't see it as an attitude. Good reporters, even the surly ones, have to have some "people person" in them because you have to talk to so many people and, if you can't do that, you won't get the goods.
    I always enjoyed the gathering and hated the writing. As Ace said, some enjoy the writing and hate the gathering.
    But both portions have to be done. Without the gathering, the writing is going to suck. Words won't bail you out, material will.

I went to a golf tournament once with a friend, just to watch. During the course of the day on the course, I struck up a few conversations with golfers who were clearly willing to engage spectators during waits on tees or between shots on fairways. My friend as aghast. Hell, I told him, they're just folks like us. Except they play golf a hell of a lot better.

As we've learned, some of them even prowl around on their wives.

2. spud

spud Member

Here's my question.

I've been on a beat for about a year with a pretty surly head coach. He's an okay guy, he's just one of those miserable coaches who's pissed when he loses and unsatisfied when he wins. He's kind of an area luminary though, so he deserves some measure of respect beyond the norm.

I've pretty much gotten over the initial dread of interviewing him when I have to. I used to be mortified of him. It's a small school and I'm typically the only guy conducting the interview, so I've had a year's experience of thinking on my feet and relying on myself and nobody else for the interview, which helps. It still sucks sometimes but you learn to deal with it. He's gotten to know and if not like me then respect me by this point. But I feel like I don't get enough out of him on interviews because he's short with his answers and it's hard to think on your feet when you're expecting a few sentences and you get a single word answer. I also feel like it's effected my player profiles because he's not exactly forthcoming with most of the info. I feel like if I either knew the right questions or could buddy up to him some more I'd be able to pry it out of him.

Does anybody have some advice for these situations? It's been an eye-opener because it teaches you not to ask stupid questions. I just want to make sure I'm asking the right ones.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I've never been good at the BSing part.

I don't small talk or chit chat before interviews, even during one on ones, and I rarely say much at all after the fact. I just get what I need then GTFO.

I don't know if that's cold/impersonal or the norm.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Spud,

Here is my advice. If possible, watch who he talks to when not coaching and get to know that person/persons. He may give you insight. I did that this week for a coach profile. He was drab as hell when I interviewed him so I talked to several of his ex players, colleagues, etc. They have me some good stuff. I called back to get some memories and it was like opening the floodgates. I ended up doing a second interview as he showed me old game tapes, player records...hell even a pair of old running shoes (side note, the coach is in his 50s now and overweight, but by getting the other people to talk I learned he had been a champion runner in his early 20s)

Or he could be just a cold prick with no friends, and you won't have any luck. As per player profiles, if he gives you nothing, ask if you can talk to a position coach to get more insights.

5. Babs

Babs Member

For post-game stuff, go do players first and then the coach, giving him some time to cool off.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

smsu_scribe, I also had the same problem when I started out. I'm actually surprised how many on this thread are the same way. I still have moments that I have to nudge myself, especially when dealing with somebody who I know doesn't want to talk, but it is definitely something that comes more naturally to some than others.

Ace put it well. Some of us just prefer the writing part. I am definitely one of those.

One thing that has helps me is preparation. Go into any interview with as much information as possible. The biggest problems I have had came when I wasn't prepared going in.

7. AD

AD Active Member

one of the biggest shocks to me about journalism is finding that it's filled with shy people. i think this is because, like me, a lot of people thought: hey, i like to read, maybe write, love words: here's a job that pays to work with them. few understand that it's a people business, built on relationships, connections, personal chemistry. the advice on this thread is great, so let me add just this: before a key interview, read EVERYTHING you can find, long and short on the subject. it shows you've done your homework, that you're actually interested, that you CARE about the subject as more than just a job or a way to get a good quote. people like to be found interesting, and like to be cared about. i can't tell you how much good shit i got just because, as ignorant as my questions were (and sometimes the more ignorant, the better; there's nothing wrong with saying, 'i don't know, could you explain...') the subject picked up on the fact that i was enthusiastically, passionately intrigued by them and what they do. but you can't fake it either. anyone can sense a bullshitter. but the more you research, the more you'll find out, the more you'll want to know and the more you'll actually care about the story/interview subject. and once they trust that you care, you'll find that they will start to spill.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

WFW. Great post.

I've gotten a lot better at the BSing, but I still get nervous/shy sometimes, though not nearly as bad as when I first started. I do find the writing a lot more enjoyable than the interviews, but I also know the writing won't be half as good if the material isn't.

All I can say is you'll get better with more experience, which applies to everything, but it's very true here as well.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Can't say whether it's normal or not, but that sounds exactly like me.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't have a problem until I went from sports to news. Prep kids love to talk to reporters and since you're older than them it's not that big of a deal. You go from that to badgering cops, asking grieving families if they want to comment to the paper - it was brutal. Developed a "zen" thing where I figured it wasn't "me" asking the questions, but "reporter me." Understand it might not be easy for the person being asked questions either, find a common bond, ask a question nobody else asks. Don't be afraid to appear vulnerable.
    One of the sad things about journalism and interviewing is that the most visible journos on TV use their mouths more than their ears. Therapists get people to open up by staying quiet. You can badger someone to death with questions and it will just shut them down. Stay quiet and they'll come to you.

11. AD

AD Active Member

there's nothing wrong with give-and-take either. if it's good, it's a conversation. if someone's lost a relative, or had a bizarre travel story, mention your own experience. show that you're willing to be open about it. again, you'd better be sincere; that is, don't bring up your dead father at the drop of a hat, but only when it's germane and if you're willing and comfortable and you're willing to talk about it. this is not cheap currency. but if you're honest and open, i've found, people will be honest and open back. you're still a journalist, still have to be clear-eyed, still have to maintain a distance -- so it's fine -- and rare -- line to walk. but there's nothing wrong with showing you're human, too.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The weird thing is, I could walk up to Tiger Woods or Jimmie Johnson or A-Rod and start shooting the shit immediately. But doing a man-in-the-street thing is still kind of a hurdle.

I discovered this in (of all places) Port Sulphur, La. a year after Katrina when I did a year-after folo.

Draft saved Draft deleted