1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters asked to sell subscriptions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by littlehurt98, Mar 6, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Here's the thing: It's a trap.

We've all been in that situation where your boss or editor asks for a little favor, something that won't take much extra effort. You do it and you're asked to do it again. And again. Eventually it just becomes assumed you're going to do it.

Anyone who openly agrees to this--and actually does a decent job of it--should eventually expect it to be expected of them. Sure, it's a contest now but when will it become another one of your duties?

If you don't believe me, ask anyone here who got handed a crappy digital camera "just to take shots when you have the time/when the photographer is on another assignment" and watched it turn into "Yeah, the photographer quit and we're not replacing him because you can shoot things too."

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Let's put it this way:

Can you concieve of ANY major-metro reporter, ANYWHERE, doing this with a straight face?

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Tell you what though, this would be fun to have in those situations where someone is complaining.

Coach: "I read your story last week on our loss to Podunk and you really don't know what you're talking about. How dare you say Julie Smith dogged it in the fourth quarter! Who the hell do you think you are?"
    Reporter: "Well, coach, I just call them like I see them. Speaking of, how would you like to receive our paper at your front door every morning for the low, low cost of $6 per week?"
    Coach: "Surely you can't be serious!"
    Reporter: "Oh I am, and this is seriously a good deal! Oh, and don't call me Shirley."

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Take out "potentially" and you hit the nail on the head.

This just screams smarm.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It' s a trap, but it's a trap that you will unlikely to fall in because you'll be too damn busy working to pay any attention to it. Management will probably send a semi-threatening e-mail a few weeks after this idea is forgotten, but just ignore that too. They'll get the point and quickly go back to their golf games.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm not a salesperson. No thanks, sir.
    That's what I'm asked if confronted later. I ignore the request at the present time. No sense getting worked up, just do not do it.

7. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

This is actually going on at our shop right now. Everyone in the newsroom was given a stack of fliers and subscription cards and a circulation route list of all the people/addresses in our neighborhood that do or don't receive the paper.

We were told to pass the information on to at least 10 people on the list. If we're able to get a subscriber, I believe we get at least $10 or $20.

It seems very simple and possibly worthwhile, unfortunately, my apartment complex has a "no soliciting" clause in the lease, and I'd rather not get penalized for something as lame as this.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Question: If you're in a union, does the union deal protect you from management's attempts at making you do a second job unrelated to your real skill?

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They work hours of unpaid overtime as it is. Sure, I can see some doing it.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I can see some folks at smaller papers doing it, reprehensible as it is.

Cannot CONCEIVE of anyone at a major-metro going anywhere near it.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's your point, ben? you sure seem to be beating this drum quit hard.

12. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Maybe it's because I've started a little freelance photo business on the side and have had to do some serious marketing of myself, but I think it would do us "news side" folks some good to actually have to do some of this.

I hear everyone's arguments that it's usually a one-way street and no one from other departments are coming in on weekends to do our job (they probably should do that as well to see what we go through), but good grief -- we have a product to sell! Don't sell it and we're out of business (which is what is happening). We should eagerly pitch subscriptions when we can. That's our paycheck (directly or indirectly because increased circulation = potential for more ad revenue).

Believe me, I market myself hard when I'm working on my freelance photo business, and you know what? It works. Following up with folks with emails and phone calls when I have something I think they are interested in -- and passing out business cards at things I'm photographing -- is humbling and I still feel out of place at times. But it has generated sales for me that I wouldn't have gotten by just sitting around, which puts more money in my pocket...

Again, you don't want to get taken advantage of by management (so ask them if you're paid hourly what they want you to give up on your schedule in order to sell subs) but at the same time, I think it would do us news folks some good to become more business savvy and realize there is nothing wrong with wanting to sell more papers...

Draft saved Draft deleted