1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters asked to sell subscriptions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by littlehurt98, Mar 6, 2009.

1. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

Re: Reporters ask to sell subscriptions

I apologize for not being more clear in the subject line and no the reporters did ask for this. We had no idea it was coming. As far as I know this is a volunteer effort, but it is one of those you better at least try things. I wrote the original in my anger after the meeting and have had some time to cool off now.
    I don't mind helping out and if someone comes up to me at a game and wants to know some information about subscribing I'm more than willing to give it out. However, I just don't like this idea of having to sell the paper. I'm not in sales. Maybe that is the wrong attitude to have, I don't know.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Stop bitching and do your job, Pope! The multi-class state track tournament agate doesn't write itself! :D

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sell none and ask the editor what the fuck he was thinking.

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

YOU ONLY COVER US WHEN THE CIRCULATION GUY IS ON THE DESK!

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When I was 12 and delivered papers in Phoenix, I sold newspaper subscription door-to-door a few times a week. I wasn't any good at it and it paid like crap anyway. I remember the big part of compensation was a point system where you could build up to a trip. It reminded me of Chucky E. Cheese coupons where you could get a ghettoblaster for 10,000 tickets.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think I'd go with "not sell a damn one and pretend it's not happening."

Most of these idiots will be so shocked that you aren't motivated by their awesome idea that they won't bother to ask you again.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Why doesn't someone put together a proposal for the editor and publisher suggesting, because of massive layoffs, the circulation department should spend their breaks and their days off coming into the office to take high school sports scores. Just a few hours a day, between 7 and 10 p.m. The press guys and circ guys should have no problem squeezing in a little time on the phones and get a chance to feel what it's like to be a real sports writer.

8. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

I was at a Morris paper 10 years ago where the publisher made the same proposal. I don't remember if any reporters sold anything. I didn't. I was busy enough after they cut my staff in half.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Okay, I came up with a better plan.

Lead the grumbling and really, really nail home to all your fellow news staff what a waste of time this is. That shouldn't be hard to sell them on.

Then sell one subscription and collect your paid day off.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A former paper of mine tried this as well, with a number of different incentive systems. I always threw them in the trash, because it's not my fucking job. (That and I'm an antisocial copy editor who didn't know anyone to sell to anyway. :D )

But there was one reporter who happened to have an extension that was either a former circulation number or one digit off or something. And when the incentive was 10 bucks a subscription sold, he certainly wasn't forwarding those calls to the circulation department.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Again, I don't see the opposite situation where reporters struggled to do their job so terribly that we brought in the ad folks and said "Guys, if you can come in on Saturdays and check the police logs, somebody just might win a pizza party!"

My first instinct is to say I'm glad it hasn't happened at my paper, but I know it's just because we're behind the curve on most things.

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This wouldn't be a bad time to find a few folks who will sign up (friends and family who feel bad for you because you are an underpaid journalist will suffice), then laud your accomplishments to the publisher.

The publisher will appreciate you being a team player...

Then "right size" you anyway in favor of two citizen journalists and a nerdy college student.

In all seriousness, though, I will market the product any chance I get because I believe in it and want people to check it out. Will I go door to door begging for subscriptions? Nah. But I will hand out business cards at Podunk events.

Draft saved Draft deleted