1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters asked to sell subscriptions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by littlehurt98, Mar 6, 2009.

1. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I walk in to our staff meeting today and our circulation director is at the head of the table and not our editor. He proceeds to tell us he has a big announcement concerning the newspaper.
    To make a long story short we are apparently having a contest to see who can sell the most subscriptions among the news and sports staff. Winner gets I think some movie passes and a day off from work with pay.
    Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it is my job to go out and sell subscriptions door-to-door. The guy actually suggested we go around our neighborhoods on our day off and try to sell. Isn't selling subscriptions the circulation director's domain?
    He also told the sports staff that sporting events would be great places to sell because so many people are at them. Yes because I have the time to sell subscriptions when I'm at a basketball, baseball or softball game. It just burns me up that I am being asked to do this.

2. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

Re: Reporters ask to sell subscriptions

I was once asked to do this, as "part of a contest". It was a small office with nine people total, so whenever the phone rang, I tried to answer it, and I claimed a lot of subscriptions that way. But, it was insulting and humiliating.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I thought once you mentioned a contest it would something else entirely.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Are there any penalties for failing to sell subscriptions?

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'd tell the circulation director I'd be glad to sell subscriptions to help. And I'd thank him for volunteering to take call-ins this spring.

6. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I do not believe there are any penalties for not selling. I honestly doubt I try very hard. If I happen to find someone who wants to buy great, but I'm not going to exhaust myself doing this.
    I like the idea of making him take call-ins....He might be able to sell a lot that way.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

So, to clarify, reporters did not ask for this, right?

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Looks like it's up to the individuate to decide if they want to do it.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Does anyone else find this a creepy and potentially unethical mingling of news and sales? I had a lot of respect for what the ad and circulation people at my last paper did, but very few of them seemed to really understand what editorial did and why it was important that we stay out of the sales side.

I guess they might get around that by saying it's for a contest and not actually paying the reporter on what they sell. Still, it kind of squicks me out.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Subject line initially led me to believe reporters asked to sell subscriptions. I don't think that's true. Got it now.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I look forward to the day when a circ guy gets extra paid time off and some restaurant coupons for typing up high school track agate.

12. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Here's how it would go at a game.

Reporter: So coach, characterize that loss for us.
    Coach: We just got our butts handed to us, I feel horrible.
    Reporter: Well I've got a deal for you! You can get 10 weeks of our paper of 1/2 price! You can't lose on that deal.
    Coach: Go to hell. (Coach then punches reporter in face or never talks to reporter again, both not good for the relationship)

Draft saved Draft deleted