1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporters as authors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by valpo87, Jun 25, 2011.

1. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I have seen a number of reporters that will write an autobiography or about their beat, but has any of the repoters on this board worked on a novel or other form of creative writing?

I've just finished the first draft on my first novel and the one thing that I've caught myself doing is writing in an AP style. Has that happened to you before? I have found that anything I write nowadays ends up in the AP style and I know for the literary world, that is sometimes unappealing (at least what a writing professor in a fiction class told me).

Tips for the young novelist/reporter?

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, I know the last time I authored an erotic story, I was told that "Little Susie sure did look really f**king hot with her short skirt, six-inch heels and see-through bra" should have been changed to "Little Susie sure did look really f**king hot with her short skirt, 6 inch heels and see-through bra" because spelling out numbers is an AP style guideline that doesn't translate well to the world of spank text.

Does that count?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Oh, come on. You don't spell out lengths or distances. Everybody knows that.

4. schiezainc

Yeah, it got really dicey when I started describing the length of the main character's ...

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

hair?

6. schiezainc

No, they were all well trimmed down there.

Draft saved Draft deleted