1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter thrown under the proverbial bus?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 3, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll stick up for the SE here... A) hindsight is nice, but why would he think the player DIDN'T say it; B) in a two-person shop, how do you know the SE got to look at it with days off or his own vacation?

2. I'd like to say that the Arkansas football program seems to be a complete nuthouse that ruins anyone who gets near it.
    Who in the hell is in charge at that place anyway?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But what I don't get is the second story. If you run that story, you're essentially admitting the original story was incorrect ... even if you slap that disclaimer on the end. If you really stand by the story, you don't run the follow, right?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would think that his denying the quotes is worth a story -- especially in a small town like Cullman. Having no tape to prove either side correct, it gives both sides the out. Does kinda screw the reporter tho.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Others don't understand that this is an industry in which writers' and editors' growing pains are often revealed in public.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't trust a paper that allows "myriad of" in its copy.

7. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Well said Editude.
    People all across the world f'up. Whether this reporter f'd up by not taping, or f'd up by "massaging" the kid's quotes a bit too much (if that's true, then he deserves to be thrown under the bus/train/semi-trailer), who knows. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, since most likely its a matter of this kid realizing he bitched and moaned to the wrong person, one who could put it all in public...
    hopefully, the reporter learns to be more careful by taping everything as often as possible.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I have a real question about this. Can you have a 'proverbial bus'? There's nothing about a bus in the proverbs, right? Doesn't 'proverbial' have to refer to something referenced in a proverb?

Not making trouble, but I wonder about this every time someone says 'proverbial' in relation to something that can't be.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

There, there, dools. It's okay.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Methinks you're making something out of nothing...

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this, 21.

From George Carlin's Braindroppings:

Proverbial is now being used to describe things that don’t appear in proverbs. For instance, "the proverbial drop in the bucket" is incorrect because "a drop in the bucket" is not a proverb, it’s a metaphor. You wouldn’t say, "as welcome as a turd in the proverbial punchbowl," or "as cold as the proverbial nun’s box," because neither refers to a proverb. The former is a metaphor, the latter is a simile.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Joni Mitchell sang about a big yellow taxi. Does that count?

Draft saved Draft deleted