1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter - Suburban Journals, St. Peters, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 20, 2007.

1. From jjobs.com: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=791903

Company: Suburban Journals
    Position:
    Seeking news, sports reporters
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 24, 2007
    Job ID: 791903

Description:
    The Suburban Journals of St. Charles and Warren counties is looking for news reporters and a sports reporter.
    The right candidate for our news openings will be an aggressive reporter who can juggle city government and political coverage with community features and enterprise pieces. This reporter should be able to demonstrate a deft writing touch, a commitment to putting readers first and a burning passion for the craft.

Our ideal sports reporter will also be committed to producing top-notch work. The right candidate will be able to demonstrate the ability to craft tight game stories, write engaging features and identify compelling enterprise pieces. A proven ability to design pages, write headlines and edit other writers' copy is a plus.

Daily or weekly experience is preferred for all positions.

The Suburban Journals of Greater St. Louis LLC delivers about 1 million newspapers regionally each week, has 34 local editions and is the largest chain of free distribution community newspapers in North America. The Suburban Journals of St. Charles and Warren counties publishes the St. Charles, St. Peters and O'Fallon Journals three times a week, the Wentzville Journal twice a week and the Warrenton Journal once a week. We update our Web sites daily. To apply, send no more than five of your best clips, a resume, a cover letter and your salary requirements to Mitch Pugh, Managing Editor, Suburban Journals of St. Charles County, 4212 N. Service Road, St. Peters, MO 63376, or e-mail mpugh@yourjournal.com. No phone calls please. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I interned there several years ago. I may be able to answer any questions via PM.

3. skippy05

skippy05 Member

I was the Warren County sports reporter until last week. It's a great job. Decent pay and benefits and a great prep community. You're basically by yourself out there as the editor you report to is 30 miles away in the St. Charles County office. You have a lot of autonomy and there are a ton of great storylines. Holt high school won the Class 4 wrestling title and were the runner-ups in baseball. Plus, Ross Detwiler, a former Holt graduate, was drafted sixth overall in the MLB draft by Washington and there's a kid there now, Tim Melville, who is probably going to go top 15 next year out of high school. A kid out of Warrenton and a Missouri grad was drafted by the NY Giants as well. It's a great, small-town community with very good sports. I don't know if this is the gig for someone straight out of college as experience is wanted and the standards are very high, but if you love prep sports and want to be a part of the community, this is the job for you.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Do they have a satellite office, or do you work out of your house?

5. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Satellite office. Some work is done from home, but not much.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Anybody know the timetable on this one?

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

If I had to guess, I'd imagine they'll fill it by the start of fall sports, maybe sooner.

8. skippy05

skippy05 Member

They want it filled immediately. It's a great gig, but unfortunately, it's had a pretty heavy rotation. A person will fill the spot for six-eight months, then leave and it's open for a couple months or more. I know they would definitely want someone there by early AUG so they can get started on the football previews...

9. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly Guest

I worked in sports out of the St. Charles office not too long ago. I could probably answer any questions. Just PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted