1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter plagiarized by recruiting site writer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Mar 24, 2008.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

He should be let go. Harsh, but if I did the same thing, I should be fired.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Agreed, especially given the way that he did mention that he tried to get in touch with both parties. If that was the case, Ace, you're right - a comment from the Scout guy would be necessary in this case.

3. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Scout.com plagiarizing stories?? You don't say!

Get a subscription and you'll see how bad some of the sites really are.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Doesn't this make it clear he talked to the guy he accused?

<i>I fired off an e-mail to Eric Hall late Monday night and set about trying to find and e-mail for Dale Grndic’s. I didn’t get it until the next day around noon. By that time, I had already heard from Hall who confirmed it was his story and knew nothing about the Grdnic piece until I had sent him the link. He was very surprised.

I got a response from Mr. Grdnic shortly after I sent the e-mail. He asked me to call him to discuss it. I wasn’t able to make a phone call until Wednesday, shortly after 9 am. There was no denial.

So, yes. Dale Grdnic did commit plagiarism. The reason. The excuses. The justifications are ultimately irrelevant. It was done, and Mr. Grndic will have to own what he has done.</i>

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He said he wasn't able to make a phone call till after 9 a.m. And there was no denial.

That's a strange way to say you called the guy and he didn't deny it. So I thought maybe he was trying to say he wasn't able to make the call before he posted his story but that he didn't deny it in an e-mail.

And if he did talk to him and the dude gave excuses, justifications, etc., I'd really like to hear them. Let the reader to decide whether to give them credence.

So to me, I wasn't sure if he he actually spoke to the guy and was snootily discounting his excuses or if he wasn't able to speak to the writer but that his initial email did not deny the crime and he was kind of writing around that.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ace, I agree with you. I'm left wondering if he really talked to Grdnic, too.

I've met Grdnic, and though I had never heard of him doing anything like that before, just based on a general impression this does not shock me.

For what it is worth, I have also met John Temple, the college professor the blogger quoted. I trust John's opinion. There are guys out there teaching journalism that I wouldn't trust to work for a weekly. John Temple isn't one of those guys. He was a damn good reporter before he left the business to become a college professor.

7. Notepad

Notepad Member

Does anyone else think the sports information staff at Pitt owes it to the Beaver County Times reporter to take away Grdnic's credential?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think they have to at least consider it. They may be waiting to see if anybody will still pay him to string.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I don't think that's the SID's decision to make. If an accredited organization is willing to request a credential for him to cover, he should get one. If the university is going to make a judgment on whether or not he plagiarized, they owe him due process. I can't see an SID wanting to deal with that.

10. Notepad

Notepad Member

The fact that he is still working at Scout tells you all you need to know about that place.

11. tagline

tagline Member

Dale Grdnic gave a lame excuse on a scout.com message board, saying his plagiarism was the result of an editing error. The only thing more embarrassing is that the posters at scout are defending him.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=141&f=2456&t=2253947&p=1&sto=MS_26751897#s=141&f=2456&t=2253947

His response:

My explanation is that I wrote a column after watching that game and then gathered more information the next day. I could have done a better job editing. I appreciate the support from those who have supported me, but please put an end to this now.

Dale

12. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

I could have done a better job editing?

so much for accountability

so you stole shit and won't even admit to it?

get a freaking clue, you pathetic embarrassment

Draft saved Draft deleted