1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter opening at The Fresno Bee

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Robert Zizzo, May 27, 2006.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Robert: Where did the previous beat reporter go?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Given the checkered past of Fresno State's athletic program, cops beat experience might be a requirement.

3. Robert Zizzo

Robert Zizzo New Member

Wow, never thought this thread would take such a turn.
    Anyway, to answer a couple of questions:
    1. David White, who has done an outstanding job on Fresno State football coverage for five years, will focus on enterprise reporting.
    2. We've had great success with young, talented reporters -- Eric Prisbell and Jeff Passan to name two -- who essentially came to The Bee right out of college/internships. So, experience isn't as important as skills. That said, with all other things being equal, I'll take experience.
    3. Cops and courts experience is a bonus. Our reporters are expected to know their way around police reports, court records and public records.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Robert Zizzo

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You must be new here! ;)

Thanks, Robert, for the information and for thinking of SportsJournalists.com with your job information. Keep us, um, posted.

5. Oscar_Madisoy

Oscar_Madisoy Member

How come nobody's mentioned how close this is to Tahoe?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Because it is common knowledge. We don't state the obvious here at SportsJournalists.com

7. From what I have heard, dealing with Pat Hill is one of the more frustrating things you can do in this business. He's great for the national folks but for everyone else (especially the beat guys) he can be prickly and overbearing. He has no problem calling out and/or berating reporters, you know, just for fun. So, be ready for it...

8. So, he's like every other college football coach in the country?

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

yeah, i figured it's probably not the best way to do it, but i didn't get a couple of promotions because an editor thought i was too young...that's why i was inquiring.

if my reaction came off as being a sniffling little baby, that wasn't the intent...i thought it was a legitmate question, and to get some random response, aggitated me.

im curious about the transitioning from city beat and cops beat writing...and how SEs look at it.

I know I'm more than qualified, but you have to be a little cocky to succeed as a writer. No hard feelings MU, enjoy watching your boy D-Wade
    I probably overstepped a bit on my reaction. Blame it on sitting in 95-degree heat for too long. I apologize.

As an aside, Marquette was good to me.

10. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

I'm still here.

And there's no truth to the rumor I got in trouble for beating up a replica pinata of a rival.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we have the "no outing" rule.

On a Fresno note, the Brookings Institution says Fresno has the most concentrated level of poverty in the United States, significantly worse than New Orleans. But New Orleans had more poor neighborhoods.

12. abelives

abelives Guest

The Fresno suburbs are pretty nice, though, right?

Also, I can't believe no one's asked:

Salary?

Draft saved Draft deleted