1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter, National Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jul 28, 2006.

1. They had the Rush Limbuagh pills story on the same day as the Daily News.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

CNN transcript from 2001 on NE scoops:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0102/24/rs.00.html

Did you know that the AMI building where the anthrax was sent in Oct. 2001 remains under quarantine and will still be under quarantine until at least the end of the year?

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:OhxRRlwPEHEJ:www.patrickruffini.com/2008wire/go.php%3Fid%3D71378+ami+anthrax&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

For anyone who always longed to write those great stories like..."My baby's father is an Alien," "Boy with four heads predicts the end of the world,' and "Shocking photo prove Osama had a harem of sheep!" This is the job for you. Also, if you can develop contacts with creatures from outer space, you're guaranteed a huge bonus! Forget sports writing, this is where the real fun is!

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Re: Want to examine Lindsay Lohan's bust size? Work here...

They also beat people on the OJ story because they will pay for interviews. I'm sure they have some crackerjack entertainment reporters working for them, but spreading out cash doesn't hurt.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

All those who poke fun with the two-headed babies know not their tabloids.
    The Star, Enquirer and Globe are on a different shelf than the others. I believe they may all even be owned by the same company now. Globe seems to focus on the big murder mysteries, Enquirer does tend to break news, and the Star is glossy and fluffy like US.

And yes, I am one of those people who does read it (I read 'em all). I must not be the only one, because the Enquirer, for example, considers itself a "newspaper" and has the biggest circulation of any in the U.S.

One name that suddenly stood out last week, while watching the Bravo reality show on the Daily News. They flashed clips of the related racial situation in Howard Beach about 20 years ago, with the byline of "Don Gentile."
    I think he's one of their senior reporters at the NEnq now. That's pretty credible, assuming he didn't leave the Daily News because of plagiarism or something (I have no idea why he left).

6. busuncle

busuncle Member

The National Enquirer is like People or Entertainment Weekly or something of that nature. It's a legit news source... it's not printing fake news about alien babies. That would be the Weekly World News.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The fax number is missing a digit.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Ballscribe is female!

(I knew that already, but it's always happy fun when an "outing" ensues that has a smidgen of truth to it ...)

9. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Did you even read the thread before you posted?

10. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

What part of the above post would make you even faintly suspect I play on the other team? ;D

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

One note: It might have changed, but a while back I had friends who'd occasionally get opportunities with the Enquirer; they were worried about whether that would be the end of their "legitimate" newspaper careers, but the problem: the Enquirer paid very, very well.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The Enquirer has several very big, very good law firms vetting their material. Although they pay their sources, the info they get is good and in my dealings with them, they've had all their facts. They can definitely be bullying when it comes to pressuring subjects and sources to give up the info, but I tend to believe what I read in there, especially what's on the cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted