1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter, National Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Does anyone know anything about this paper? Is it credible?

Company: National Enquirer
    Position: Reporter
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 1, 2006
    Job ID: 664383
    Description: The National Enquirer wants you!

We’re looking for top journalists for our Los Angeles bureau. The right candidate will be able to cultivate sources that lead to breaking major national stories in the entertainment industry. Three years of news reporting experience preferred. Public interest in entertainment has never been higher and we’re looking for reporters who consistently beat the competition in gathering accurate and interesting information. This is a rare and excellent opportunity to join the publication that routinely produces the best reporters in the entertainment business.

EOE

Email resume along with salary requirements to: myresume@amilink.com or fax: 561-98-1299.

http://journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=664383

2. lono

lono Active Member

Re: Want to examine Lindsay Lohan's bust size? Work here...

Three years of preps is all you need to set up to the bigs, folks.

Sheesh, and people say there are no good newspaper jobs left anymore ...

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Cultivate stories that will lead to major national stories?

Yeah, you know, the tooth fairy, bigfoot and my imaginary friend Sam.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Actually, the National Enquirer has been breaking actual stories in recent years.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I don't know about this, but I have a hunch they're more interested in the second part of "accurate and interesting" than the first.

6. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

It's easy to rope the Enquirer in with the bigfoot/martian tabloids.
    But they are legit in many ways.
    They've got nut-cutting reporters there who would destroy a lot sports beat people.

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Have a friend who works there. J-school grad, hard-driven reporter. Would be good on any metro staff.

The National Enquirer isn't and never has been a bigfoot, alien-baby tabloid. Although it was more seedy about 20 years ago, it has evolved into a publication every bit on par with People and Us.

8. udubwazzu

udubwazzu New Member

Sounds like someone is trying to legitimize his decision to subscribe. I don't remember ever seeing a newspaper article that stated, "As first reported in the National Enquirer...." Although, to be fair, a nut-cutting reporter quoting "a friend of a friend" isn't a big leap from a sports scribe quoting "someone familiar with the deal wishing to remain anonymous."

9. Weren't they the first publication to receive an Anthrax letter back in 2001? And I forget which one, but some major national story was broken there. It may have been Bill and Monica.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I think the New York Times refered to the NE as first reporting something before as well... I'll have to look.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Enquirer made its first real claim to membership in the mainstream media during the O.J. investigation and trial, when it beat the shit out of pretty much everyone when it came to breaking news (and believe me, absolutely everyone was covering that story). Since then, I'm sure there have been other instances in which the Enquirer has been out front on a story, though I can't tell you any specifics because I don't read it and have little interest in its subject matter. It ain't the New York Times and it never will be (though I believe the NYT has been caught in more outright fabrication the past few years than the NE), but it ain't the Weekly World News, either. They operate close to the edge, but I'm sure they have some kick-ass journalists working there, too. Hell, if I had the contacts in the entertainment industry -- and if I cared about the entertainment industry at all -- I'd send them my resume in a second. I'll bet they pay great.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Didn't they break the Clinton/Paula Jones scandal?

Draft saved Draft deleted