1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter job in NYC (This one wants to make me cry with its low pay)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Jan 16, 2009.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

Considering that nowhere in the headline or the post is the word "sports" used, why would you jump to the conclusion that Stitch does not know what a GA position is? And doesn't it strike you as just a little bit odd that everyone else here could see that Stitch was simply pointing out the low pay (particularly for that market) yet you couldn't?

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

3. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Can you pass me some? I'm hungry...

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This thread is awesome. It makes feel feel smart.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Can we keep the discussion to the job opening, please?

BC, your bellicosity isn't helping matters. If you have insight regarding the job or whether a reporter could live on the salary offered, by all means enlighten us. Otherwise, I suggest you and the chip on your shoulder go elsewhere.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In this job market, I think posting/discussing *any* opening in the field is kosher. Sports reporting, business reporting, livestock reporting -- at this point, a lot of us are more concerned with putting food on the table than the specific genre where we ply our craft.

You can live on this salary if:
    -- You don't have student loans.
    -- You don't have a car. (Yeah, public transit in NYC is that comprehensive where you can get away with it.)
    -- You live in a rooming house or a house packed with eight Manhattan College students, living like you're in a developing country or training for the Beer Olympics.

All very big ifs. Of course, y'all already knew that.

The Press does have a history of pushing people along to better things. (Of course, almost any daily is a step up from a weekly of that size.) No, I don't work there, and I've never worked in New York, but the few times I've checked out the Web site and seen the print product, I've seen good work.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

wow.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon, wicked. Take your stupid logical, measured post and get out of here.
    There's no room for facts etc. in the middle of bc's moronic rants.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Is there enough popcorn for a third person?

And I'll bring the beer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Successful troll is successful

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait a second, bc, there's a Cranberry Lambic??!??!

Sorry, Trooper. Back to the job. wicked makes valid points, all, except I've never seen the paper. The Bronx is cheaper, but cheaper in NYC is still obscenely expensive anywhere else. And there are probably more areas in the Bronx you don't want to live in than there are in Manhattan, so finding a place to live where you'll be OK coming home at any point would be your biggest challenge.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Yeah apparently... looks like a old fezzywick too (whatever the hell that is..)

Draft saved Draft deleted