1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter job in NYC (This one wants to make me cry with its low pay)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1012078

Company: The Riverdale Press
    Position:
    Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    February 20, 2009
    Job ID: 1012078

Description:
    You'll never work harder and you'll never have more fun than reporting for The Riverdale Press, the Pulitzer Prize-winning community newspaper that covers a corner of New York City, the Northwest Bronx, with hard-hitting news stories and gracefully- written features. This general assignment position offers great training. Reporters who started here now work in the newsrooms of the New York Daily News, the Newark Star-Ledger, The Washington Post and USA Today, among others. We look for good writers who are hungry to learn and become better. Send us a letter telling us what you can bring to our newsroom, along with a resume and a healthy sample of clips. Salary is $450 a week. Benefits include 401(k) and health care. Driver's license a must, Spanish a plus. E-mail: newsroom@riverdalepress.com, or mail to: The Riverdale Press, 6155 Broadway, Bronx, N.Y. 10471. Attention: Marie Villani-York, editor. No phone calls, please.

2. bc31

bc31 Guest

what makes me want to cry is why wannabe reporters can't even read thoroughly. This is an ad for a GENERAL ASSIGNMENT reporter and this is strictly a SPORTS journalism board. If you don't know what a general assignment position is, you need to finish j-school instead of worrying about salaries in nyc.

3. Holy fuck. I made more than that at my first daily job in fucking western Montana.

4. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

This is not strictly a sports journalism board. I know lots of people around here in news, some in radio and television (and not sports) and me. I cover disasters and disaster relief.

With the current climate, I bet a sports journalist out of work would want to know about news reporting jobs, too.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

(Modified - Searching on a sports article byline, it seems even the sports writer pitches in on the news side)

I know it's primarily for sports, but this one had to be posted in the sense that if this paper is so gosh darn great and wins those fancy hood ornaments, it should have the decency to pay a living wage.

It's $23.5k/year and I have heard of less on this board, but can you find a rat trap in NYC for less that.

Get to five posts bc31 before you throw stones.

6. Fenix031

Fenix031 New Member

I don't care how you crunch the numbers, is it even physically possible to live on that kind of pay?? I mean, unless you're camping out at the office.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Actually, it's not strictly a sports journalism board. Basic reading comprehension should have made that very clear by now.

Fetch me a beer.

8. bc31

bc31 Guest

spup1122 and 2muchcoffeeman, I would refer you both to the actual name of the website, i.e. sportsjournalists.com. The only thing basic reading comprehension has made clear is that idiots choose to erroneously post non-sports items. and if non-sports journalists looking for work don't know enough to click on jjobs, they don't belong in this business.

and stritch, before you lecture me on my number of posts, I suggest you live in nyc before you comment on jobs here. If you did, you would (1) never be caught dead using phrases like "gosh darn;" (2) have recognized that that paper is in the goddamned BRONX for chrissakes, which obviously renders the bogus accolades full of shit; and (3) MOST IMPORTANTLY of all, is a WEEKLY, and thus the salary is absolutely compatible with weeklies in the other non-Manhattan boroughs. All right? Please, people, read before you start running your mouths and wasting our time. We've got better things to do, like fish planes out of the Hudson. Have a nice day.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://lex-wrong.ytmnd.com/

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Riverdale relates more to the Westchester side of things than the Yankee Stadium portion of the South Bronx. That aside, the venom about posting a non-sports-only gig (and a GA at a weekly likely does some sports) is striking in its immaturity. The business isn't awash in job opportunities, and although the coin isn't much, a young writer who lives nearby might be intrigued for a year or two.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

What a piece of work. Please don't complain again about his low number of posts. He might do something about it.

12. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

I'm sorry, I must have missed the memo about you taking over as the new owner of SportsJournalists.com.

Oh, and have a Happy Go Find Yourself Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted