1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter, Greenfield, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by crimsonace, Jun 27, 2006.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The Daily Reporter in Greenfield, IN, a 10,500-circ PM daily, is looking for a sports reporter and/or an SE.

You'll be part of a two-person staff that extensively covers preps at local high schools, and has opportunities to cover Indy-area pro and college sports. There is a *lot* of freedom, and the newspaper culture encourages some good work. The newspaper (and sports staff) have won a ton of statewide awards over the last few years, and it has rather stable leadership and a rather stable, talented newsroom. The pay is pretty good when compared to other newspapers of this size. The newspaper is part of the Home News Enterprises chain, a small (four-daily) group based in Columbus, IN. It does include photography and design/desk responsibilities in addition to reporting, although you will have the services of a talented staff photographer (shared with news-side) and an inside-page designer (also shared with news-side).

The paper is a PM M-F and an AM on Sat, with no Sunday edition. It usually combines with other newspapers in the chain to cover the Colts, local racing and other events.

FYI, this will out me here to some who haven't already figured it out, but this is my position. I'm not 100% sure whether they'll advertise for an SE or promote an internal candidate and advertise for a reporter instead. PM me for more details.

I'm leaving the biz as a full-timer to become a high school history teacher, but I'm now a free agent. Anyone looking for an experienced reporter/editor for stringer assignments in the Central Indiana area, let me know ASAP.

2. Just a little note on this. I interviewed for the managing editor job there a few months back and was very impressed by the product, workplace and management staff. David Hill, the editor is very good at what he does and from my meetings with him, and what others who know of him have said, he is a GREAT guy to work for and learn from. If you are looking to get your foot in the management door and make a difference, this is a good place to learn.

3. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

First congrats on the job as a history teacher.

Sometimes, I think about going into teaching. Just wondering, did you take credentialing classes while writing/editing?How did you make it work? Thanks

Edit: I've said this before, but I'm not actually a teacher. My handle is in honor of my mom, who was a PE teacher for over 30 years.

4. 85bears

85bears Member

Pay on an SE job like this?

5. crimsonace

Indiana requires all college education departments to provide an alternative education program for professionals to obtain teacher credentialing. Some are rather forebidding (and basically require you to quit your job), but some actually reach out to professionals. The one I took used accelarated Saturday classes and required five hours a week of student teaching each week for most of an academic year. I usually took three afternoons off a week to teach. I finished the licensing procedure in one calendar year, although it took me another year to find a teaching position. If you're in math/science and even English, you'll probably not have many problems finding a job.

6. crimsonace

I'd second that on David Hill. He's been a very good mentor to me over the years, and seemed rather stunned when I told him I was leaving.

The only wart on the place is that the publisher can be cheap (which isn't unique to Greenfield), but when he does spend it, he occasionally wastes it (for example, our camera equpiment is very subpar, but we have really good computers), and he has a weird infatuation with crappy shopper-type weeklies.

7. crimsonace

An update ... the SE position has been filled internally, so this posting is *officially* for the reporter on a 2-man staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted