1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter/editor, Helena, Montana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The Independent Record, a 15,000 seven-day AM daily in Montana's capital city has a January opening on its four-person staff. Could be an editor or reporter position, depending on the skills of the person hired.

Coverage can include high school, collegiate, amateur and professional athletics. Pagination (QuarkXPress) skills are a must, as it is a seven-day paper. Duties will depend on skills and interests of the person hired, but a 75/25 writing/desk split would be within reason. Applicants need to be self-starters and able to take ownership of a beat and develop feature and enterprise ideas, while also working within the team framework.

THE SCENE: Helena has a short-season Class A rookie league baseball team (Milwaukee affiliate) that won the Pioneer League title last summer. Has a Tier III junior hockey team that has won its league five of the past six seasons and draws good crowds. Home to Carroll College, which is competing in the NAIA football championship game for the seventh time since 2000. Within the past two years, have had state championship high school teams in football, softball, soccer and volleyball. Have increased coverage of University of Montana and Montana State University (each about 100 miles away) within the past year.

THE PAPER: Owned by Lee Enterprises, which owns three other dailies in Montana and more than 50 across the U.S. Great opportunity for content sharing. Paper plays much bigger than its circulation size. 4-6 pages daily, 8 on most Sundays. Staff is three full-timers and one 35-hour per week position. Seven-day AM paper with very generous copy deadlines and management that is supportive of the sports staff. Pay commesurate with experience. Full-time position with benefits.

THE CITY: As a capital city, the paper serves an educated readership of larger than normal white-collar workers, a fair number of whom have roots elsewhere. Interests go beyond the city/county boundaries. Outdoor recreation is plentiful. Moderate summers, seasonal winters. Cost of living less than east or west coast, but not as cheap as some locales.

APPLICATION: Resume, clips, tearsheets to John Doran, executive editor, Independent Record, 319 Cruse Avneue, Helena, MT 59601. Email to john.doran@helenair.com

Feel free to PM me for additional details.

2. JPsT

JPsT Member

I'm not trying to be that guy, but I never think it bodes well for places to have errors or typos in their postings. Especially in the very first line.

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Helena's an all-right city and the people I know there are very good. Agree that the paper plays bigger than its size. Carroll is actually very good small college sports and would probably be a pretty fun beat. You are, of course, in the middle of Montana which depending on your interests is either the biggest selling point or biggest downside.

4. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Perhaps the poster of the ad is the one being replaced because of typos in his ledes.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Seasonal" meaning warmer than Yakutsk, I guess.

6. thebigd

thebigd Member

Geeze guys be happy that somebody is hiring for cripes sakes. No offense grave, but I've been in the business 30 years and I've yet to meet the perfect journalist, and I'm sure you probably aren't he

7. macten92

macten92 New Member

I actually grew up in Helena and freelance for this pub now and then. Great place, great people. Helena is a mid-sized town (40,000 or so) that has a lively arts culture and an incredibly historic and good-to-be-in downtown. Yep, you're in the Rockies, but if you love the outdoors, there really is no better spot.

Lots of great sports programs in Carroll and the two big high schools.

8. anonymous1

anonymous1 New Member

How quickly are they looking to fill the position?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

As soon as they hire someone.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hopefully sometime in January. That of course is somewhat fluid. Want to be sure they have the right person and if that means said person has to relocate from outside the area, can probably add another couple of weeks to the process.

11. thebigd

thebigd Member

Apparently this one has been offered to somebody

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Is the Frontier Pies still open in Helena?

Draft saved Draft deleted