1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reporter/copy editor/page designer, Eau Claire WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by tNWmjDP11, Sep 4, 2007.

1. tNWmjDP11

tNWmjDP11 New Member

From JJ.com:

The Leader-Telegram in Eau Claire, a mid-sized a.m. daily in west-central Wisconsin, seeks a full-time reporter/copy editor/page designer for its Sports Department. Main job duties will include the production of a four- to 12-page section several nights a week and game coverage and feature writing. Our four-person staff dedicates its coverage to 11 high school conferences, two NCAA Division III universities and a Northwoods League baseball team in the summer. The qualified applicant will have a college degree in a related field and writing, reporting and layout experience. Knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop is a plus, but a good eye for design and the ability to write on deadline is a must. Please send a cover letter, resume, layout samples, game stories and features by Sept. 17 to Editor Don Huebscher, P.O. Box 570, Eau Claire, WI, 54702. No phone calls.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Who left this time? The Dons aside, this looked like a quality sports section under Eric Page. Not sure what it's like under its current editor. Also, I think Huebscher is the only Don still remaining at the paper, so maybe things have gotten better.

3. John Casper Jr.

John Casper Jr. New Member

I've been the sports editor in Eau Claire since May. If anyone would like more specific information on the opening, feel free to PM me with questions.

Not to sound like Mark McGwire, but I am not here to talk about the past. I know that this job and paper was dumped on pretty good by several posters a while back. I can't refute anything that was said because I wasn't here when it happened.

What I can tell you is that I've done my best to carry on the good work started by previous sports editors. I'd like to think that we put out a quality product in a great work environment. Preps is our main focus, but we do cover two Division III colleges, some summer-league baseball teams and cover University of Wisconsin and Packers home games.

We are looking for someone that wants experience in all facets of journalism — layout, editing and writing. You'll get plenty of experience in all of them. Our staff is young, but we are committed to practicing good journalism. The best part about this staff, at least for me, is that we all push each other to get better. It's unlike any staff I've been on in my short career in the biz.

Like I said, any questions, feel free to PM me.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Where is Eau Claire relative to Wisconsin geography?

5. John Casper Jr.

Northwest part of the state. Ninety minutes from Minneapolis, three hours from Madison, three hours from Green Bay, four hours from Milwaukee.

It's not 15 minutes from Tahoe. That's at least a 20-minute drive.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

About 90 minutes from St. Paul.

EDIT: Beaten to it. Also, if you're young this is a good gig. Eau Claire is a solid drinking town. And when I last heard they were allowing some Packers and Badgers coverage. Not sure if that's still the case.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought all the Wisconsin Gannett papers got their Packers coverage from Green Bay.

8. John Casper Jr.

Yes, we do allow for some Packers and Badgers coverage but it is very limited. If you want to cover the Packers and Badgers exclusively, go work somewhere else.

Wicked, this is not a Gannett paper. We are family-owned.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Stand corrected, John.

Draft saved Draft deleted