1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter blogs on his former paper's site about layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Raiders

Raiders Guest

It's Plimpton.

And institutional memory is more important than one might think. Because credibility never goes out of style. 8)

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Didn't like the 16-hour days reference, which I found rather ridiculous. I'd think only the most super-dedicated reporter would want to work 16 hours days, even if they were getting paid overtime. Most, I would think, would want a life outside the newsroom.

But otherwise I found little fault with the column. And I liked posting it on the paper's site. If another company was laying people off, the paper would (I would hope, unless they get bought off), cover it. WHat's good for other companies is good for the paper.

And yeah, I liked the shot against the CEO. Tough shit. You don't want to get embarrased, then don't collect a fucking bonus while laying people off.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They may not pay the bills, but lack of institutional knowledge/memory by the scrambling GA reporters trying to meet their social media demands and writing obligations often results in poorer work. Readers notice and stop reading or throw their hands up in disgust.

Some beats are worthwhile to have, depending on your city/area and what's important there. Having management who understands this is important, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted