1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter bios

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jan 27, 2009.

1. I notice at the site Politico.com that bylines link to capsule bios of the reporter, his/her educational background, previous jobs, hometown and so on and so forth, along with a photo of the reporter.

I've always wished the major metros included this kind of information - I love going through the Pulitzer Prize site and checking out the bios of the winners. Some of them have made some really fascinating professional journeys.

Is this something that only another journalist would care about? Or would it help reader-publication relations if more newspapers did the same thing? Perhaps help make readers realize that we're real flesh-and-blood people, not just a monolithic "MSM."

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Most columnists have a bio on their paper's web site. In addition, many reporters who blog have some type of condensed bio on that page, as well.

Anything to make newspapers seem "human," in my eyes, is a good thing. We ARE part of the community, not the "liberal elite" or some such tripe. Especially since a majority of most communities are living a lot better than we are.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Most the sites in my area have no such thing. I wish they did. I think if the public knew how qualified some of the journalists were they would lay off the nasty phone calls and e-mails.

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

If my paper had that, I would get 2 questions non-stop:
    1) "Where's Gon-ZAW-ga?"
    2) "Were you there when that one guy was there? I don't know his name, but I think he has, like, diabetes or something. Wonder if he's in the NBA..."

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wilfred Brimley went to Gonzaga? ???

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I agree, Waylon. This is kind of odd, because I've spent the last couple of months deflecting our columnist's attempts to write a story about me, including her asking me to pose for pictures with someone as I'm trying to interview them.

But I digress. I think the BuffNews site hits it just about right. Nothing overly personal, but it's kind of cool to know that Bills beat writer Allen Wilson played pickup hoops with Michael Jordan back in the day, or that all but four of the 12 staff writers either grew up in the area or attended college here.

That goes directly to your point, buckdub. Maybe it's not like this everywhere, but the BN folks are part of the community, and have been for a long time. Maybe that's why people don't leave there very often ... and why at least one who did is talking about moving back to WNY.

7. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Nice try. I was referring to your 2011 Italian League MVP:

[​IMG]

All joking aside, buckdub brings up a good point. It lets readers know more about us, plus in my area it might eliminate the perception that my boss and I hate one school because we went to its rival ::)

8. micke77

micke77 Member

Waylon Jennings...i find such bios on the journalists fascinating, too, and a couple in our area delve into the background of a writer pretty good. and it's interesting. i wish our own paper would do more of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted