1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reportedly, RIP John Hall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ChrisLong, Dec 14, 2018.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Word is circulating on Facebook that longtime LAT and OCR sports columnist John Hall has died. I have no details. Here is a FB post from Ross Newhan, Hall of Fame baseball writer and colleague of Hall:

The passing of John Hall this week is a body blow to me personally and creates a major void in the history of sports journalism in Los Angeles. For decades John’s columns in the L.A. Mirror and Times were a must read and he later joined with Steve Bisheff and Mark Whicker to enhance the Register.

John was a force of nature. His personality lit up a room. Whether he was with John McKay at Julie’s or the Eaton’s and Don Fraser at the Olympic or Chuck Knox at the Rams training camp John dominated the room, and it didn’t matter how many drinks were involved in that past era John had the greatest memory of any person I have ever known. He didn’t need notes. He had it all in his head, and no one ever yelled Rats louder. Not even Charlie Brown.

For this young writer, beginning his career on the Angels beat in the early 60s with John and Bud Furillo and Bud Tucker, what tutoring and what stories that have been told over and over in the business. John was a giant among giants, and his late wife Nancy was one of Connie’s closest companions on so many nights when John and I were traveling or on the boulevard. Hard to believe I will never hear that roaring voice again. Rest in peace friend, and join those two Buds at the bar.

Liut, Slacker and maumann like this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

During the battle for Orange County, the OCR landed a huge hit by hiring John Hall away from the LAT. OCR beat back the challenge and took ownership of O.C.

Liut likes this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Great post, Chris. John Hall would love it, too. :)

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted