1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: WNBA RIP next year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 24, 2013.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Complete threadjack but I have been traveling through Japan. A@W is only on military bases here except in Okinawa. The people of Okinawa love A&W and there are huge drive-ins everywhere. Beats me why.

2. The Big Boy's do not sell hamburgers.

3. If you are an old timer from the Cleveland area you remember when Lawson's was your go to convienence store. It ahs a great house brand dip. While Lawson's in Cleveland is dead and their Japanese joint venture survives, with something like 10,000 stores.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I presume this was the prime example for what the PTB in the WNBA meant when they said at the beginning that they were going to give their teams gender-neutral names as much as possible.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think they wanted to avoid, in the early days when the WNBA teams WERE direct affiiliates of the NBA franchises, the "LA Lady Lakers," the "Buckettes," etc etc etc.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

They were probably thinking the Raiders wouldn't fold, but be moved to another city, with a new nickname.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think most of this is right on. The WNBA is safe as long as Stern is the commissioner. As soon as he's gone, it could be gone pretty quickly...

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Because they make the best root beer on the planet, and their burgers are pretty damn good too.

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Yeah the root beer is amazing I always liked their burgers also.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the late 60s/early 70s we always used to stop at an A&W on the way to and from our grandma's summer cottage. I remember for a couple years they had a steak-and-cheese basket sandwich that was just utter greasy nirvana. Holy hell were those things yummy.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

since Root Beer is much more satisfying than the WNBA, I like Stewart's. There was a Stewart's Drive-In near me growig up. Hot Dogs and Root Beer are better than Brittney Griner

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Have to agree with you. This thread became much more interesting when the focus switched to root beer.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm about to have some root beer and pizza.

Also, Elena Delle Donne.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

A&W was quite popular in Jakarta, too.

Terrible chicken, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted