1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: WNBA RIP next year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 24, 2013.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

The Connecticut Sun have turned a profit for the last two seasons. They are the only team in the history of the league to do so. So it can be done. They have some things to their advantage, namely the strong interest in women's basketball in the area, and perhaps the fact they don't share the market with a men's professional team, which is an interesting angle. Maybe the league could have more success is places without pro men's teams, like Des Moines, Cincinnati or Milwaukee.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Knoxville never got consideration for a WNBA franchise. You'd think that was a given.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Surprised there isn't a team somewhere in Northern California too, with the success of Stanford and Cal. The San Jose team in the WBL seemed to draw well too, using San Jose State as its home court. Sacramento had a team for a while, but with the Maloofs in charge ... nuf said.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I am sure the PTB at UT long ago decided if anybody in the area wants to spend money on watching women play basketball, they are going to do it at UT.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Des Moines actually had a women's pro team back in the 70s. The Iowa Cornets were a member of the Women's Professional Basketball League for two of the league's three years in existence.

[​IMG]

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Who can forget the raging success of the Milwaukee Does?

[​IMG]

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It so figures that Wisconsin chose a hot fuckable deer as the mascot for their women's team.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's funny because it's true.

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

or Charlotte, or Orlando, or Detroit, or New Orleans, or Philly

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The Raiders didn't stop existing? Could've fooled me ...

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I have never seen that logo before. That's awesome! A doe with a rather large ass.

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

The American Drag Racing League (ADRL) has given away 100,000 tickets for its Rockingham, N.C. race every year since it started about 8 years ago. I once asked the owner of Rockingham Dragway why they gave away that many tickets when the venue held 10,000, tops. He told me about 10% for an event that has no interest is about right, that one in 10 people that do not care about racing (in this case) will come out to give it a try if they don't have to pay for it. The big thing, for him, was the concessions and parking. Without selling one ticket the ADRL event was his most profitable event, year after year.

Draft saved Draft deleted