1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: WNBA RIP next year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 24, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There is at least one drawing no more now (in actual live bodies).

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would be pretty surprised if actual attendance was anything close to 7,400. That would be a pretty good crowd for an NCAA women's tournament first-round host, and that tournament is undoubtedly more popular than the WNBA.

Also, attendance has to be considered according to ticket prices. Even if it is 7,400, if that's mostly on giveaways and $10 tickets it doesn't do a whole lot for revenue.

3. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Horrible product. Always has been, always will be. Who cares about women's basketball? I'm sorry, the average big-class high school boy's team could blow out the WNBA champions. League has always been awful...and it could never stand on its own. People don't care enough about women's basketball, with good reason.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. There is a monstrous difference between the revenue generated by 7400 at an NBA game vs. WNBA. The latter has been doing tons of giveaway type promotions in recent years to try to boost interest and attendance figures.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why that site would have ever picked the Raiders to go tits up is mystifying. They ain't very good business gurus if they think the revenue sharing of the rich TV contracts wouldn't be enough to keep a franchise going, especially since it's one of the league's name franchises and would be kept going at all cost, in the very faint likelihood things would become dire.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I figure, like most minor-league sports, the WNBA would rather have butts in the seats buying concessions and beer.

Depending on lease agreements for arena rent you probably don't need a ton of ticket sales as long as the ones there are buying food and souvenirs.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Great track record on predictions here.

Gone by the end of 2010 and still around: Budget, Esquire, the Gap empire, Chrysler, AIG.

http://247wallst.com/2009/04/15/twelve-major-brands-that-will-disappear/#more-30817

Gone by the end of 2012 and still around: Sears/Kmart, A&W (aren't they part of Yum?), Corn Pops (WTF?).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pf_article_112989.html

Predicted to be gone by the end of 2013: American Airlines, BlackBerry, the aforementioned Raiders, Salon.com.

http://247wallst.com/2012/06/21/247-wall-st-10-brands-that-will-disappear-in-2013/

----

This crank also authored this list: http://247wallst.com/2009/03/09/the-ten-major-newspapers-that-will-fold-or-go-digital-next/

More than four years later, all 10 papers are still publishing.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Apple meet orange.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No, but gender, size, strength, etc., shouldn't have anything to do with some aspects of the game. For example, women don't have to commit barrels of turnovers, miss layups or miss wide-open 12-footers. It's the same thing as the LPGA: women should be able to make just as many 15-foot putts and in as men do. They don't. Why, I don't know.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Their boobs. Didn't we cover that like 20 years ago?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yum sold A&W and Long John Silver's in 2011. Too bad because both disappeared in my locale.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe we can get Yoko to invest in the league...

agree with some of the points about skills. Yes, hand size is smaller, but so is the ball, while the rims remain the same size.

I'd be curious to see what the comparative shooting stats are, removing for dunks (which obviously helps the NBA's pct)

Draft saved Draft deleted