1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: WNBA RIP next year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 24, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Let the mourning begin.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp--sn-wnba-to-disappear-next-year-a-financial-web-site-says-yes-20130524,0,7221160.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fmostviewed+%28L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories%29

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Upon closer examination of the article: No fucking way.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The "Report: " construction is perhaps the most damaging part of journalism right now.

That isn't a report. It's a guess.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"Report" = one of NDJournalist's predictions.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anybody who predicts an NFL franchise will go out of business probably needs to banned from making predictions.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The biggest news in that link was the link at the bottom that said Lee Trevino regrets being in Happy Gilmore.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm surprised the WNBA has lasted this long (16 years). Of course, the NBA is propping it up financially, but still....

8. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Mark's surprised there's not 24 MLB teams, 16 NFL teams.... a struggling ABA and an NBA team in Fort Wayne. lol.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The WNBA made it 17 years.

The Beatles made it half that.

10. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I actually thought with all the sensitivity regarding g/l issues that the gays in sports pioneers in the WNBA would be thriving and overflowing with fandom.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I guess folks in the lgbt community don't like watching shitty basketball either.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The WNBA will continue to exist as long as the NBA chooses. NBA subsidization is all that's been keeping it alive this long, and the NBA can maintain it on that life support status indefinitely if it wants.

That article's prediction appears to be based substantially on Stern's impending retirement. But it fails to note that Adam Silver is basically Stern's handpicked successor, so I suspect he'll maintain a similarly favorable view of the women's league.

Draft saved Draft deleted