1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Vandy's Bobby Johnson is resigning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Timing seems a little odd, yes. But maybe the thought of going through another season was too much to deal with.

Or maybe he wanted to make sure Caldwell got a shot at being a head coach and figured if he steps down now, the university has no choice but to promote his assistant.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Don't you have someone to slur somewhere?

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Actually, during the presser, Johnson and whoever is in charge of the athletic department, had an arrangement already in place a while back that Caldwell would be his replacement, should Johnson stepped down.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ron Wellman will leave Jim Grobe alone at Wake Forest. Sure, he could have easily gotten more money had he made that jump to Fayetteville, but how much quicker will the wolf rush to the door there than it will with Wellman running the show at Winston-Salem. Keep in mind that Wellman gave Jim Caldwell eight years to get some results before cutting him loose.

-----

Link? Does Jeremy Foley really have that kind of dirt on Urban?

-----

I wonder if Johnson had that kind of moment similar to what Dean Smith did in Chapel Hill a dozen years ago, the "it-just-doesn't-feel-right-and-I-just-don't-want-to-do-this-anymore" vibe. The timing in correspondence to the beginning of the respective seasons is similar.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Don James at Washington in 1994?

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That seems about right. James and Dean Smith both.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You would think. At the same time, though, if he wants to stay in the SEC and possibly get back at the school that fired him (if the Dawgs do indeed fire Richt after this season), Vandy would be an option.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Very curious timing. Part of me wonders if Johnson is pulling a "Dick Bennett". Retire early in the season so that your top assistant gets the job because, if he retires between December and May, they hire someone from the outside.

When Bennett did it at Wisconsin in late 2000, they still fired his interim - Brad Soderberg - at the end of the year.

I expect a similar outcome here.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I would think among BCS conference schools, Vanderbilt might well be the toughest coaching assignment there is. Duke would be high on the list, but Duke has had some small pockets of success and I think it might be easier to get to at least .500 in the ACC.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The service academies and Vandy are probably the toughest coaching gigs. Vanderbilt's plight is tougher than Duke's, not only because the conference competition is tougher, but SEC schools are much more willing to fudge the rules than ACC schools given the history.

Keep in mind that I know Clemson cheated its butt off to get the national title in '81 and that North Carolina is currently enduring the NCAA poking around relating to agents and other such stuff.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not every conference can have such fine upstanding pillars such Da U and Free Shoes University.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think Vandy is a much tougher assignment than Army, Navy or Air Force when you consider the competition in the SEC.

Draft saved Draft deleted