1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan to resign

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Feb 10, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One losing season with the Jazz. One.

Probably the best coach at getting the most out of what he has. Some coaches have the good fortune of riding great players to titles and not screwing it up - Sloan's teams would give you a game no matter what.

The league has changed a ton since Sloan started with the Jazz - now it's a glorified AAU league.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Apparently Sloan and Williams have been going at it for awhile and last night they had a blowup at halftime that was the final straw.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApRdj2iS0UM1j5.pXhh352i8vLYF?slug=aw-sloanretiring021011

Always seemed like those two had a good relationship. Not like Stockton-Sloan, but didn't think it'd be similar to Iverson and Larry Brown.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The team Williams play for is team Williams signs with.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm assuming Popovich now has the most tenure?

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup.

And if Williams ends up being blamed for Sloan's resignation, you can count him as good as gone as well.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that. It appears Williams has won a power struggle over Sloan. It's his team now -- although good luck being a leader if all he does is blame his teammates when things go wrong.

7. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I assume you might mean the conference finals with Corbin and Bailey? Because those guys were long gone by 1997 and '98. They did, however, have Bryon Russell, Greg Ostertag and Antoine Carr, which still makes it pretty damn impressive.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isn't that basically what every great player in the NBA does now, except Tim Duncan and Steve Nash?

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. Ostertag.....amazing he got to the Finals with him.

10. Petrie

Petrie Guest

In an interesting twist, though, Corbin apparently is the interim coach...

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Three cheers for Sloan if this essentially came down to who was running the team.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Let's put it this way:

He wouldn't eat shit, voluntarily.

Draft saved Draft deleted