1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Tiger Woods to return in two weeks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/02/03/2010-02-03_tiger_woods_slated_to_make_a_shock_return_to_upcoming_golf_tournament_following_.html

I'm calling bullshit.

I don't care how long he stays out or whatever, but to announce that he's taking time off and returning before the Masters would be a PR nightmare.

Also, I doubt he would return to a tournament of one of the sponsors who dumped him as the scandal broke.

If he's going to return before the Masters, he'd be better off picking a charity tournament.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

No matter, any story with the phrase "a bevy of babes" is OK by me.

Makes some sense that this would be his jump-back point. Biggest event of the year so far, he loves match play, big pay day (not that he needs it), 550 cup points (not that he'd need them).

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

PR nightmare? He has lost most of endorsements so who gives a shit about the PR. He needs to come back before the Masters so the shit storm has slowed.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Australian paper that wrote this originally had no sources. Zero. None. It's attribution: "There are whispers" Woods will return. For the Daily News to have a triple byline based on that shit is bad, even for them.
    Future reference: unless the byline is that of Andrew Both, who covers golf for the Australian AP and other outlets, don't believe a story out of Australian. He's the best.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I'm him, I come back at Augusta and not a moment sooner. Of course there will be a firestorm with his return, but it would be muted at Augusta National, where the TMZs of the world ain't getting credentials and the "patrons" wouldn't dream of yelling anything unbecoming. Absolutely easiest place to get going again.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

With three of the Majors at Augusta, Pebble and St. Andrews this year, he'll be back.

My guess is he'll be back in time to play Bay Hill and Doral, two places he's dominated, to get tuned up for the Masters.

But I'll bet anyone a shiny nickel there's no way in hell he's missing the Masters.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

WFW. Plus, coming back at the Masters gives his "battle scar" more time to heal!

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No chance he makes Augusta his first event back. Gotta come back for at least one tourney prior to that.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure the TMZ types won't get into Augusta. After all, they've been shooting pictures across the street from the house in Isleworth, and that place is harder to crack than Fort Knox. Somehow, they got in.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hear, hear.

He doesn't just play the majors; he plays to win them.

And to do that, he needs 1 or 2 tune-ups to shake off the rust from his game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If what I've read and heard is true, Tiger went to rehab Dec. 30 for a six-week thing. So that means he'll be out one week from today?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that I don't think he would make Augusta his first tournament back. Maybe he plays something overseas first.

I agree with Hondo that TMZ would find a way to get into Augusta. Actually, the thought of that happening brings a smile to my face. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted