1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: T.O. attempts suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gandhithegreat, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Re: T.O. suicide attempt

Jeff Alm killed himself after a car accident in Houston killed a friend.

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

I do remember this from the mailbag, cuz. This guy is not coming back this year. He needs to get his mind straightened out before he steps on the football field again.

3. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Couple updates...

Peter King is denying that TO's pills were in Brett Favre's name.

Owens' publicist says he was holding them for Rush Limbaugh.

4. Re: T.O. suicide attempt

I disagree, I say he plays against Philly...what better way to get the fans to love you

5. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I haven't heard about any suicides of pro athletes, but a bunch of them suffer -- and I do mean that word "suffer" -- from depression. Latest victims: Zach Greinke & Dmitri Young. OK, I know they aren't real-big timers, but stuff like this doesn't care what you do for a living or how much money you make doing it. Plus, who knows how many other guys hide what's going on in their heads for fear of losing the trust & friendship of your teammates, not too mention the unjustified -- and sometimes hypocritical -- scorn of the national media.

I went to college in Philly from 2000 to the fall of 2004, so I know all about the bullshit this guy pulled. I don't like Terrell Owens, I have very little respect for his character, but if the reports are true and he actually tried to kill himself, I hope he gets better, both physically & mentally. Maybe, just maybe, this is the wake-up call that brings him back to reality.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Wake-up call?

This was a go-to-sleep call, no?

The more I think about this, and the more his publicist says "it wasn't suicide" as opposed to "he's doing ok and we're all hoping for the best," has the little voice becoming more and more convinced that this is 100 percent a sham.

After all, she's the source in the police report, saying he took 35 pills. Now the same person says it's not a suicide attempt. Oh, and this means he still gets paid for the season, plus provides him a nifty escape route out of Dallas.

Yep, the bullshit meter is going off hard now.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where's Drew Rosenhaus? Isn't he still Owens' agent?

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Drew's at the pharmacy, picking up TO's lunch.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Add Justin Stralcyz(sp?) and Barrett Robbins (bi-polar) to this list.

I'm surprised that this has evolved into something I didn't expect, but on the other hand, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out which angle/version is correct in all of this.

-Was T.O. taking too much meds so that he can play on Sunday?
    -Did he take too much because he's dealing with some personal issues?
    -Just watched Cold Pizza (yeah, I know, but it's for Jacobson) and the Star-Telegram reporter said T.O.'s publicist said T.O. wasn't hurting himself, but apparently told the DPD something else.
    -Is there an addiction to painkillers, or did he ignored the directions to take it?
    -Maybe the Eagles and the arbitrator was on to something when they said that something wasn't right with him. It was like a roller coaster ride of emotion dealing with T.O..

I'm going to agree with the concerns of many and say that if this is a serious situation that he's dealing with, get help immediately. Fuck the $10 million and playing football. This is no laughing matter. We debated this with Brooke Shields/Tom Cruise, and Barrett Robbins in the past. If anyone thinks that depression/bi-polar/or any type of mental illness is not serious, you are in for a big wake-up call.

I will be seriously pissed if this was a stunt. I hope it isn't. We better hope it isn't, because if it is, Hell isn't good enough for someone who makes a mockery of a situation several millions of people deal with everyday.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're reading the police report on WBAP radio right now. It calls this a suicide. Owens claimed he ws depressed. The woman who was with Owens tried to induce vomiting by sticking her fingers in his mouth. Owens stated he was trying to commit suicide.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When the Cowboys play at Philly, I'm guessing the Eagles fans will be throwing pills at him on the field...

12. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

... and I'm guessing he eats said pills.

Draft saved Draft deleted