1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: T.O. attempts suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gandhithegreat, Sep 26, 2006.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Re: T.O. suicide attempt

Is there precedent for a current pro athlete attempting or successfully committing suicide?

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Over/Under on the time that scrawny geek on ESPN tells us what this means for our fantasy team and who the top waiver wire receiver is?

Let's put it at noon, and I'll take UNDER.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

On Cold Pizza: "Have you heard any reaction from the Eagles?"

Like what, "Damn, he didn't die?"

"Does he need more pills?"

"Told you so!"

What the hell are the Eagles going to tell us right now that could be at all newsworthy?

4. Re: T.O. suicide attempt

Where's PK when you need him

"Even as the medics pump TO's stomach, I think the question on everyone's mind is, when can TO return to the field?"

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Ricky Berry, a forward for the Sacramento Kings, committed suicide in 1989. I can't think of any others...

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

When I think of TO's problems, and now this supposed incident, I go back to a Dr. Z mailbag on CNNSI from last November:

Why do I think T.O. is a borderline schizophrenic? Because I've seen people with the disease who acted much in the same manner -- having periodic outbursts, never satisfied unless they're stirring up some kind of unrest, whether it's warranted or not. I felt sorry for (Dimitris) Underwood and the Bears' DE, Alonzo Spellman, who both were schizophrenic affected, but It's hard to feel sorry for T.O. because he has a real mean streak. Not only that but he's a bully. You'll notice that he saved his heaviest shots at Donovan McNabb for when the QB was the farthest down, physically and emotionally. When McNabb was on top of his game, T.O. didn't bother him. I think Owens is headed for some serious problems unless he gets rid of the Drew Ronsenhaus types around him and gets some real treatment.

7. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

It's happened a few times in college...

Arkansas WR Brendan Cook killed himself in 1991, and LB Shannon Wright followed two years later. I believe there was a thread on this site about Penn RB Kyle Ambrogi, who comitted suicide last October, two days after scoring two touchdowns against Bucknell. Ambrogi suffered from depression.

8. Re: T.O. suicide attempt

SPIN ALERT!!!!!!!!!

The sad part is that with the culture of breaking the story first, this is a real possibilty and we'll never know.

I'd prefer to wait for the news conference, but considering the newsconference is scheduled for 11 a.m. (being conducted by the police) and the Cowboys organization has not denied any of the speculation, it's hard not to form your opinion. Strange deal...TO was having fun yesterday avoiding the media on Tuesday's, which I guess is a normal ritual.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Was Donnie Moore still active when he killed himself?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No.

Neither was Eric Show

11. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

The AP reached Drew Rosenhaus.

AP: What did he do next, Drew?
    DR: Next pill.
    AP: And after that?
    AP: And then?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm amazed at the number of sports-talk folk who think this purely is a publicity stunt.

They may be right to a point -- TO is calling out for help. No one in his inner circle will confront him and force him to get help, since they're afraid of being kicked off the TO gravy train.

The guy didn't pop pills, though, to get his name in the paper. He wants, and needs, help. We just haven't listened before, mostly because society still isn't well informed about the tell-tale signs of mental health issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted