1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: T.O. attempts suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gandhithegreat, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No . . . it makes him a craven, opportunistic, player apologist.

Let's get things straight, here.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

is that Criff Craven?

[​IMG]

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Sorry I'm so late to the party. Here's my first and last word on this whole episode. After reading all the stuff posted by the Dallas Morning News and Fort Worth Star-Telegram, I was wondering if anyone else noticed that the DMN beat the living shit out of the S-T on this story, beginning with that story quoting the trainer on the turmoil in T.O.'s life and going from there. The DMN stuff was much more thorough and informative (even if you didn't care that much about all this ;D).

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Without knowing anything about Joe King, I'm thinking he carries an axe and found a grinder.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I want a tshirt that says 'Fancy Little Football Person'.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

So does Nick Saban, 21.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm going to look into a trademark. This could be really big.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If you go on facts, you could only say "possible suicide." That's not what ESPN and everyone else who jumped the gun stripped in huge fonts across their Web sites. The claim was that T.O. had attempted suicide. Big difference. And when you've got a story like this, you never want to jump to conclusions.

Unfortunately, that's what most everyone did here.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

This whole thing is ESPN's fault. They stopped programming for 3 hours(I think) just because of TO. Unbelievable. I always thought that ESPN loved TO, but they crossed the line that day. I'm tired of TO, I'm tired of Sal Paolantonio, and I'm REALLY tired of Ed Werder.

P.S. I MISSED NFL'S GREATEST GAMES BECAUSE OF THIS!

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

You know, when I posted this, I kind of expected such a response. I'm not sure why, but anytime someone voices any criticism of anyone or anything here, he or she is automatically accused of jealousy/bitterness/axe-grinding. Maybe that's called for in response to a personal attack, but I read my post again and didn't see one. I didn't name any names or say anything incendiary. I didn't say, ``Star-Telegram sucks, dude. Morning News Rules!'' I didn't give an opinion on the overall relative merits of the two newspapers or their sports sections. Frankly, I'm not sure I could since I don't read either paper regularly. I read this stuff because a major circus/story broke in their market and out of curiosity as a sports journalist I checked out the coverage of both. Then I simply expressed my admittedly subjective opinion on their coverage of one story. I thought that's what this board was for (among other things). If you disagree, fine. That's also what this board is for. But instead of trying to get inside my head and telling me why I think what I do, how about just saying you disagree. If you'd care to tell me that I'm wrong and your reasoning, I'd be happy -- nay, thrilled -- to engage in a spirited debate on the subject (I love a good argument).

Thank you for your time.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

At least they didn't go with the live coverage on ESPN as well as ESPN2 all day (not to mention ESPNews). There would have been hell to pay if they'd pre-empted a live Champions League game for news coverage that they were telecasting on 1-2 other networks.

But the "NFL Greatest Games" series is pretty damn good. Broncos-Browns from '86 is a great one.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I disagree.

Uh ... what was the original premise again?

Draft saved Draft deleted