1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: T.O. attempts suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gandhithegreat, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Thank you for that reminder of that situation.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

this is just grand!!! ;D ;D ;D

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, I can just picture that big ol' Texan police chief talking about "some fancy little football person."

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

To be fair, I believe Tagliabue basically told Favre he'd be suspended if he didn't go to rehab, which he did.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Pardon my ignorance, but I always thought that pro football players lived on painkillers just so they could make it through the season. It seems to me if you're taking pain medication the way a doctor intended, and you tell the drug sampling people that, they won't raise a ruckus over the test. (Provided that you're not basically pissing Oxycontin)

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Etheredge 911 call on SportsCenter just now. Nothing but a freaked out, "He took too many pills!"

Also, Dallas PD rules "accidental overdose."

And in the funniest quote of the whole affair, DPD guy says, "We don't believe there's any public interest in continuing this investigation."

7. Mudbone

Mudbone New Member

Is this story overblown? With the facts that are out there, considering who this guy is, and the police and TO's camp agreeing it's not suicide, should this receive all the coverage that it has?

This post was on Romenesko:
    Writer scolds media for coverage of "the suicide that wasn't"
    Morning Call
    "We now have T.O. -- the suicide attempt that wasn't," writes Jay Hart. "What do we in the media care, now that we've swept the hours of speculation [about Terrell Owens] under the rug, wiped our hands clean and can start fresh again? As hard as you might find this to believe, we -- and by we, I mean the media -- hold the rest of the world to a higher standard than we hold ourselves. It's easy to do when there's no accountability."

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32319/

That'll be an Olympia, please. Make it a six.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hmmm, you're supposed to go on facts, and the facts when the story broke were that A) The police ruled this a possible suicide attempt based on B) an overdose of drugs and C) his braindead publicist telling them she took pills away from him and he's been despondent...
    While it does have an odor of a witch hunt, because of TO's past and the publicist denying what she said, yeah, it deserved the coverage it got... but it needs to die down quickly.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think that at heart, Terrell is a good person. Somewhere along the way he allowed himself to get reached-around and snookered into bad quarters a la Tyson.

I also think Terrell, when football is over, will die a horrible violent death. He won't be able to cope in a world without football, and the penchant for dramatics it brings.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Really? I don't see him that way - he's definitely not a "thug" type, and in a lot of ways is a success story coming from his background. Is he a narcissistic prima donna? Yes. But until the other day, he never had anything sordid other than contract disputes, etc.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sucky-sucky suck-suck:

bingoooooooooooooooooooooo

Draft saved Draft deleted